Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Can not win at gambling

Options
  • 22-09-2008 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Guys a bit of advice, you can not win at gambling by going to the bookies, first they only want mugs if you did happen to be winning they would have the secruity department keep a close eye on you and not lay you bets unles they wanted too, i laugh when i see the same old mugs in the bookies when i go in to have my free tea and biscuts as these guys will never ever in a million years win , its so sad i mean they might as well burn there money. Now i was a gambler for years so i know what im talking about and the fact is you can not win from bookies or with online bookies the only exception being betfair but even then only 1% of people win long term on betfair and these guys have a edge, since i gave up gambling it has been fantastic i now have a new lease of life, however i do tend to drink more lol, now what really pisses me off is the way the media are so in bed with the bookies , they never tell you they only want losers to bet with them and that they close account if you are a winner, these bookies are in my eyes the most immoral people on this planet .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What's your point?
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Cheers...

Who can't win at gambling? Some do. Are you talking to anyone here in particular?

Fair point on bookies shutting you down if you are too good but then again you always have Betfair there to continue winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm, maybe you should head over to the Non drinkers forum and tell everyone to start gambling as they'll have less chance of drinking. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

if you had a gambling problem in the past then fair play on giving it up but i don't see the point of this rant.

these bookies are in my eyes the most immoral people on this planet .

Your idea of morality needs serious revision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

look no one ever wins at gambling its as simple as that, you might win in the short term but you will never win in the long term simple as that, it like people saying this is a cert that is a cert , no such thing as a cert ever, just look at saturday with liverpool at 1.20 odds on i think i read what mugs would bet on that .
    The only reason i go to the bookies now is to eat the free bikkies and drink the free tea and read the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

look no one ever wins at gambling its as simple as that, you might win in the short term but you will never win in the long term simple as that, it like people saying this is a cert that is a cert , no such thing as a cert ever, just look at saturday with liverpool at 1.20 odds on i think i read what mugs would bet on that .
    The only reason i go to the bookies now is to eat the free bikkies and drink the free tea and read the papers.

Then you're a sponge. Can you not afford your own biscuits and tea?

yes i can afford my own i just like going in and making them see that i wont gamble and just take there stuff , which i see as okay since they are scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Now i was a gambler for years so i know what im talking about

I'm convinced now

People do win obviously usually with the help of Betfair. Most don't but some do. So who are you directing the message to or are you just trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

look no one ever wins at gambling its as simple as that.

In your OP you said 1% win? So which is it?

How pathetic you must be too go to a bookies for the free tea and biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

As far as I know, 50% of bets placed on betfair are winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

In your OP you said 1% win? So which is it?

How pathetic you must be too go to a bookies for the free tea and biscuits.

Very very pathetic obviously..And stuck for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

abitlonely wrote: »
    As far as I know, 50% of bets placed on betfair are winners.

ha, very good.

you are obviosly very deluded if ye think you can win at gambling long term, perhaps the posters here should think about there loved ones and what trama they have put them trough by gambling , more than likely mood swings and constantly thinking of gambling, really ye are deluded if ye think ye can win long term , the bookies are laughing there socks at ye mugs

you are obviosly very deluded if ye think you can win at gambling long term, perhaps the posters here should think about there loved ones and what trama they have put them trough by gambling , more than likely mood swings and constantly thinking of gambling, really ye are deluded if ye think ye can win long term , the bookies are laughing there socks at ye mugs

You're just trolling now. Some can control their gambling hobby, sorry if you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Guys a bit of advice, you can not win at gambling by going to the bookies, first they only want mugs if you did happen to be winning they would have the secruity department keep a close eye on you and not lay you bets unles they wanted too, i laugh when i see the same old mugs in the bookies when i go in to have my free tea and biscuts as these guys will never ever in a million years win , its so sad i mean they might as well burn there money. Now i was a gambler for years so i know what im talking about and the fact is you can not win from bookies or with online bookies the only exception being betfair but even then only 1% of people win long term on betfair and these guys have a edge, since i gave up gambling it has been fantastic i now have a new lease of life, however i do tend to drink more lol, now what really pisses me off is the way the media are so in bed with the bookies , they never tell you they only want losers to bet with them and that they close account if you are a winner, these bookies are in my eyes the most immoral people on this planet .

Wrong. I'd recommend anyone who wants to take the risk element out of betting read this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=325861

Essentially it's about how to lock in the money from freebets offered by bookmakers by laying off the freebets on exchanges for guaranteed profit.

Check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

I would agree with you on certain parts.

Whenever I go to the bookies on a Wednesday you see some people in there the day they get their dole gonig in losing every peeny these people are the mugs no doubt.

But people can money betting, I do sports bets but never tennis or baseball look out for real good value teams, teams who are playing very poor for Example Stranraer are paying total rubbish ATM. I got a tip for them when they were even money these are the bets you have to look for. Your normal Joe Soap going in saying I like the look of that name for a horse will always lose but if you go to sites like BA or PL you will pick up very good bets.

You must have good patience and have a good beting plain for example you bet 50 on a even money shoot he wins then you bet 100 he loses then you're down money.

People can lose their houses I actually know guys but they never do research I spend on average five hours a day reading on matches etc and it can be very profitable. But know your limits always bet the same type of money never bet with money you can't afford to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Your just cranky cos there's no 24 hour bookies open and your going through tea and biscuit withdrawl.

I know you said you dont gamble anymore but I bet you'd love one these right now

dunk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Your just cranky cos there's no 24 hour bookies open and your going through tea and biscuit withdrawl.

I know you said you dont gamble anymore but I bet you'd love one these right now

dunk.jpg

:D

He clearly lost of few pound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

the bookies win at gambling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

CHD
    the bookies win at gambling
    and supermarkets win at eating. Pubs at drinking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lemonhead77

what are the PL and BA sites??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

what are the PL and BA sites??

PL is probably Punters Lounge, but I don't know what British Airlines have to do with anything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Betting Advice. Another forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

You cannot win at drinking either. It results in hang overs, in fact when done to excess it can lead to illness and even death.

All this aside, it can be great fun. Same goes for gambling and any other passtime that has an associated cost. At least with gambling you have a chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 halfthetrack

there are a number of good techniques to beat the bookies only problem is evading their detection, ive had a number of accounts shutdown and they are obviously sharing info as I had one bookie shut my account after a relatively small win, looking for gamblers to aid my continuous demise of the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

there are a number of good techniques to beat the bookies only problem is evading their detection, ive had a number of accounts shutdown and they are obviously sharing info as I had one bookie shut my account after a relatively small win, looking for gamblers to aid my continuous demise of the bookies

feckin brilliant. let me put you in touch with my deposed dictator friend in Nigeria. He has some money he wants to invest - and you seem like just the man

Er, go to an online exchange. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Most people bet within their means and do it recreationally, not everyone makes the mistakes you have and most people know where to draw the line. Don't judge others on your actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

Very true, example if a horse has won 1 race in 10 its price should be 10/1, instead your likely to get 4/1, the difference is the bookies over all profit and why in the longterm he wins.

The skill of the gambler is to look for "value" ie find someting the bookie has been too generous with in pricing, often its the more obscure things like cricket or other sports they get wrong.

A good profit for a pro gambler is 20 % over a yr profit, which means betting 100k to win 20k profit.

Its a full time job at that level, and for what you risk losing and when you could leave your money in the bank and get 7 % intrest not a great profit.

But then how many jobs allow you to watch sport and go racing as work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement