Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 month's insurance?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Could my dad insure me with his car for just 3/6 months or would it have to be a year?I just want to learn and do my test then stop driving for a while and get my own car for going to college this time next year.I have a prov liscense for the last 8 months but didnt bother driving.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll have to pay for 12 months up front, but you can cancel mid way through the policy and the insurance company will give you a refund. I'd double check with your insurance company about administration fees as well. Most companies only charge you a nominal fee for cancelling, but some companies will charge you quite a punitive fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i don't think that's correct stark, iirc correctly i got insured for 6 months on my dads car. it could be that his policy was up in 6 months though i'm not sure.
    can you not pay monthly by direct debit and then cancel after 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well that's true, you could pay direct debit. Direct debit on my insurance had 19.9% APR so it wasn't really an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

Yeah it is possible to get 6 month insurance. Hibernian do a 6 month insurance for learner drivers, AND you get 10 or 11 lessons into the bargain. You would have to ring them about it as they don't advertise it. 10 lessons and 6 months insirance ain't bad for 350 quid? As far as I know its 350 regardless of age/gender, you just pay for the 10 lessons in bulk and you basically get 6 months insurance too.

I wouldn't recommend the lessons as my tutour didn't say anything and was very obnocious (spelling) in my opinion and he was never very reliable as he cancelled the lessons a lot. In fact i had to get a further 2 lessons to help me pass my test.

But hey, it still works out a lot cheaper!

350 quid for 10 lessons + 6 months insurance = WIN!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have insurance my brother on my car from 1 month to 3 months but may be it depends on the insurance company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

-dmo7- wrote: »
    Yeah it is possible to get 6 month insurance. Hibernian do a 6 month insurance for learner drivers, AND you get 10 or 11 lessons into the bargain. You would have to ring them about it as they don't advertise it. 10 lessons and 6 months insirance ain't bad for 350 quid? As far as I know its 350 regardless of age/gender, you just pay for the 10 lessons in bulk and you basically get 6 months insurance too.

I wouldn't recommend the lessons as my tutour didn't say anything and was very obnocious (spelling) in my opinion and he was never very reliable as he cancelled the lessons a lot. In fact i had to get a further 2 lessons to help me pass my test.

But hey, it still works out a lot cheaper!

350 quid for 10 lessons + 6 months insurance = WIN!

Never heard of it. Let's see a link or something.

Advertisement