Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving In Australia

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i have just arrived in australia and am seriously considering buying a car and driving around the country. i am in melbourne and want to make my way to perth. flying to perth seems expensive and was planning on buying a car in perth anyway to do the west coast. does anyone have any experience in driving in australia, especially from melbourne to perth. any advice on how long it takes and good places to stop over on the way.

it would also be helpful if anyone had advice on driving from darwin to cairns. it is the beginning of the wet season and although we plan on sticking to the main roads we have been warned that it could be dangerous and could get stranded. any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

g_ed wrote: »
    it would also be helpful if anyone had advice on driving from darwin to cairns. it is the beginning of the wet season and although we plan on sticking to the main roads we have been warned that it could be dangerous and could get stranded. any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Unless you've some experience of travelling in bushland Australia, give the Top End to QLD trip a miss until beginning of May when the dry kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

don't drive at night in the country. well if you can help it...wild animals don't practice the safe cross code.
    If you're using a map, make sure you know the road you intend to go on is suitable for a car, (sealed and broken roads, I think they call them..) and if you are driving in the desert, let people know your whereabouts in case the worst comes to the worst...
    pretty decent roads though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Took us a week to get from Melbourne to Perth, that included a two night stop in Adelaide. But that was with some heavy driving involved i.e one 24 stint with just quick stops for lunch and dinner. I wouldn't recommend the heavy driving take your time and enjoy it.

Make sure you are well rested especially if you are driving at night or even dusk. You really need to keep your wits about you to avoid the roos etc. Hitting one of them can cause some serious damage, and they are hard to spot sometimes. Around dusk/night they seem to gravitate towards the roads as I think they retain the heat better than the ground/soil making it a better sleeping spot.

Make sure you have nothing on you between borders. I mean have nothing illegal or even what you may think is legal. Don't have any fruit/veg in the car you are not allowed bring them over certain borders. Have your passport handy as well as you may get asked for this going through state borders.

It is well worth it as you see some great places and will end up staying in some weird little towns which a lot of people end up missing. I would certainly recommend it, and driving the west coast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

And isn't it the case that tourists don't need an international driving or australian license once they are not staying over a certain time?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The west to east coast drive involves one main road - The Eyre Highway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Not much to see past the Port Agusta ,It is a very very long drive,
    Petrol alone will cost you $450 ( assuming 10l/100km)
    I had a friend who was nearly killed when a roo was hit by a road train coming in the opposite direction, this turned the roo into a 100kmph missile. My friend was travelling about 120kmph when the kangaroo hit his Falcon. it wrote the car off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I drove Perth to Broome (or was it Darwin) a couple of years ago. A lot of driving, a lot of desolate brush. Nice to have the freedom to go as you please but I can't say I'd recommend it. Rental car so had to be careful - no driving outside dawn dusk because there is too much chance of hitting a roo or Emu.

If I were to do it again I'd bus it to be honest. All that said I really liked the west coast. Not as touristy/busy as the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I drove Perth to Broome (or was it Darwin) a couple of years ago. A lot of driving, a lot of desolate brush. Nice to have the freedom to go as you please but I can't say I'd recommend it. Rental car so had to be careful - no driving outside dawn dusk because there is too much chance of hitting a roo or Emu.

If I were to do it again I'd bus it to be honest. All that said I really liked the west coast. Not as touristy/busy as the East coast.

Yikes.Booked the camper from Perth to drop off in Broome a few weeks ago.Hope its not as bad as you make it out to be.We'll head south of Perth for about 10 days or so, then back up to Broome over a three week period.Hopefully we won't be rushed in this time frame,anyone think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

We'll head south of Perth for about 10 days or so,
    South of Perth if really nice, lots to do.
    then back up to Broome over a three week period.Hopefully we won't be rushed in this time frame,anyone think so?
    Three weeks is loads I think that's how long I took. There will be days where all you do is drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yikes.Booked the camper from Perth to drop off in Broome a few weeks ago.Hope its not as bad as you make it out to be.We'll head south of Perth for about 10 days or so, then back up to Broome over a three week period.Hopefully we won't be rushed in this time frame,anyone think so?

Three weeks to get to Broome will certainly not be a rush.

• Advertisement
Advertisement