Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Abbeyleix

Options
  • 22-09-2008 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone, new here to boards.ie, Wondering if any one can help me out with some info on Abbeyleix..... thinking of moving from portlaoise, just looking for some info on the primary schools there..... also I hear there is a local link bus to and from portlaoise, anybody know the times, as I've checked out the cork dublin cork route the first one seems to leave abbeyleix at 10.45am, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well, i work in abbeyleix... so if i can help in any way dont hesitate to ask...

like any town abbeyleix has seen some new residential developments over teh last 10 years, but nothing on the scale of port or portlaoise. the primary school is located on the ballyroan road, sorry i cant help re numbers etc, but im sure you can contact them to find out. ive heard rumours of an extension to the school as well.....

the application by tesco across the road from heritage house 'should' be granted by an bord pleanala this year or early next year and will be a big addition to the town. Theres office and cafe space proposed as well....

currently abbeyleix has a centra and supervalue, while adequate, theyre small and tight... car parking can be a headache....

houses arent cheap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

I'm living in Abbeyleix.

The school seems good ... have one going there and another in a playschool in the town. School places are ok, as far as I know - but maybe book in advance just in case. Heywood (a few miles away) is the nearest secondary school - daily bus service.

The local link bus seems to leave around 8.45am and back at about 5.45 pm with a few services during the day - to/from portlaoise via ballyroan. There is a Bus Eireann and Aircoach intercity service also - I think the first Aircoach to Dublin is 8.20am - not sure if it goes thru Portlaoise or how reliable it is.

As mentioned, there is a Supervalu and Costcutters - both pretty good - Costcutters gets the nod from me for service and convienence. The new Tesco will be a help (but not all are looking forward to it ... that's another story).

Once the bypass arrives (not sure when ... a few years away at least) , then traffic should ease. It's pretty bad at the mo, not helped with all the trucks supplying the motorway construction.

There seems to be plenty of houses available - as everywhere else - you might be able to get good value.

Best of luck.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I grew up there. It's a great place to live. maybe a little quiet compared to other bigger towns such as portlaoise. Depends what your after. I'd definietly move back at some stage but i gotta be nearer Dublin for the moment. Can't really ad much more than what the previous posters have added above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I grew up there too, currently looking for a site to build on and get back there, but currently being out priced.:mad:
    Abbeyleix is a lovely town, a hertiage town, with most of the building being protected. i went to Scoil Mhuire, and my nephew currently attends, they are great sporting school, with after hours football,soccer and tennis on a saturday. think there is about 500 students and its a fairly modern school - they have recently put forward my nephew for the gifted child programme, so its fair to say they take an interest in their students.
    Parking/traffic is a bit of an issue at the moment, but will soon be resolved with the new bypass. As said there is regular buses to portlaois.
    Also check out Morrisseys - one of the oldest pubs in ireland, and a black and white pub of the year.
    i couldn't recommend Abbeyleix enough, and personally can't wait to move the three miles back to it. Someday.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There is also the South School on the Ballacolla road. It's the Protestant primary school but it has taken students of other faiths before. Its a lot smaller than Scoil Mhuire but it has a pretty good rep.

Scoil Mhuire is an excellent school, and it is a good idea to put your childs name down early. Aiden McEvoy is still the principal afaik and he's a nice guy to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dotzy

i live in abbeyleix,,,great little town,,,bit of everything,,,scoil mhuire is a brilliant school(aidan mcevoy is a gent),,,parking is a pain but what can u do,,,scoil mhuire is being renovated at the moment with a new authistic unit being built on along with new class room(its just finished),,, there is the town link but times are always off:P,,,heywood is nearby too for secondary school,,,there is a great GAA club and the new library and loads more stuff to do

Advertisement