Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supply original/give out account no. ?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi
    The letting agent for the new flat I'm moving into want my bank statement. Two questions:

1. Do I supply them with the original?
    2. Is it dodgy giving out your account number?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

go to the ATM, take out 20 euro and say yes when it asks you if you want that little piece of paper that states your balance.

Give them that.

You have no reason to give them your account number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭coverband

Do they not need to see details of your income though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

no.

once you've signed the lease, you have to pay them the rent.

They actually don't even have the right to see your bank balance, but as a show of good faith I'd do it.

As long as you pay them first month's rent and last month's rent (aka deposit), they should have no reason to doubt you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

If you currently giving out you bank details to strangers then I know a guy who lives down a dark alley who could use them in all sorts of ways............."Dont give your details" they have no reason to ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

coverband wrote: »
    2. Is it dodgy giving out your account number?

Everytime someone writes a check, they are giving out their account number. Charities often advertise their account numbers online for donations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

Think you will find Cheques a dieing form of payment. But none the less it is unavoidable if ur using Cheques. But still no reason to be handing your details out just cause someone asks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

What's this got to do with Works and Jobs? Moving...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

eoin_s wrote: »
    Everytime someone writes a check, they are giving out their account number. Charities often advertise their account numbers online for donations.

How many bank tellers are going to allow Joe Blogs to walk in and withdraw money from the Concern or Trocaire account tho?? I woulda thought there was some provision that make the account one which funds can't be withdrawn from.

I was just making the point that your account number isn't top secret. Edit - not saying that you should post it everywhere, but in the case of a landlord, I wouldn't see a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

coverband wrote: »
    Do they not need to see details of your income though?

No, it's absolutely none of their business how much you earn.

Would the letting agent be Wyse, by any chance?

They asked us for copies of our bank statement, we ended up photocopying the first page of them (with address and account number on), with a blank sheet of paper obscuring the transactions on the page.

• Advertisement

Do they still look for references these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BigAl>> wrote: »
    If you currently giving out you bank details to strangers then I know a guy who lives down a dark alley who could use them in all sorts of ways....
    People in parts of the world where cheques are unheard of do it all the time when they pay each other using direct bank transfers. Just knowing someone's bank account details doesn't give you access to their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Alun wrote: »
    People in parts of the world where cheques are unheard of do it all the time when they pay each other using direct bank transfers. Just knowing someone's bank account details doesn't give you access to their account.

It shouldn't, but it can make it a lot more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Ask them for a copy of their data protection policy.

Advertisement