Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inca Trail - Buy boots in Cusco?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, am about to head off to South America so have Inca trail booked for end of October. Haven't got hiking boots as yet (bringing runners) but just wondering if anyone knows if it is easy enough to buy them in Cusco? I assume given that it's the start for most treks they should have equipment available but not sure if I'm being naive! Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You can get hiking books in Cusco but what you are being naive about is showing up for what is quite a difficult trek in a brand new pair of hiking boots. You should at least break them in with 2/3 days walks before you set off on the Inca trail. Otherwise you might find yourself half way through it in total pain from blisters.

If I were you Id buy a good pair off boots here -at least you know they are not some cheap fakes- and do a few day walks to break them in before going. Even wear them to work if you can get away with it. Leave the runners at home and just take the boots and a pair of sandals for wearing in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yup got me nerdy walking shoes the other day for the trail in Feb!Although leaving for South Africa in a few weeks so decided to get them before i leave.

You'll need to break them in aswell though with a good bit of walking. I went with walking shoes as opposed to boots, this way its alot lighter for my whole trip plus it offers a bit more versatility for other hikes and mountain walks. They're really comfortable,light, waterproof, and have great grip so hopefully they should do the job.

Are you going to Peru just for the Inca trail or will it be part of a RTW trip?Think of the other times you might need them too,maybe some other treks you'll be doing on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Speaking from peru at the moment, didnt do the Inca trail but agree with others get boots and break them in, also leave some time to aclimitise it takes its toll and heard ppl with mind blowng headaches on the trail.

2 tips: hit Paddy Flatherys in Cusco the food is awesome!!!
    Machu Picchu = Mosquitos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Don't forget your walking sticks! You can hire them in Cusco, and they're WELL WORTH it! Your knees will thank you on the third day!! You may look like a middle aged American hiker, but honestly at that point, you won't care! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tiredy

you dont need hiking boots for the inca trail, i did it in runners as did the rest of my mates. although we did it in the month of August, it was very hot during the day and very cold at night. just wear what shoes you would normally wear if you were going walking or whatever. Theres no point in buying a new pair of boots, they will kill your feet! Once you get over Day 2 of a 7 hour uphill climb you'll be fine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

You won't get boots cheaply in Cusco if that's the idea either, nothing is terribly cheap in Cusco! I second Paddy O'Flahertys. Also, Angels for fab steak dinners, and if they're having one of their party nights (4 per year) defo go - great craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cookie4

Thanks for all the replies. Was distracted by actually arriving in South America! Off to Lima tomorrow and as yet havent bought boots so hoping the runners work for me! Will enjoy the other tips after anyway. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

You can rent/buy hiking boots and pretty much any other hiking equipment in Cusco and a reasonable rate. Like someone else said, I just did the hike in a pair of comfy runners. Had a much better time than my friend who was in agony going downhill in her new hiking boots.

As long as your runners have a decent padded sole so you cant really feel the rocks when you walk on them then you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hit up Jack's as well, it's an amazing cafe, that just happens to be owned by the same people who own Paddy O Flaherty's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Sorry to reignite this thread again, but I'm doing the Inca Trail in May this year and I'm thinking of getting boots for it, but not hardcore hiking boots, more weatherproof runners that have a really good sole.

Saw these in 23 Degrees North in Dublin. They're Gortex, so they're breathable. They're waterproof and very strong, so they'll survive weather.

Realistically, I'm not a hiker and I've never done anything like this before. The only trekking I'll be doing will be the Inca Trail and maybe one or two other mini-adventures (like trekking up Blue Mountain in Jamaica etc.) so I don't think I need the huge hardcore boots. I could wear these for the rest of my RTW trip...

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement