Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best windspeed / direction website for Waterford

Options
  • 21-09-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im helping to organise the Irish hot air ballooning championships in Waterford this week and I was just wondering can anyone recommend the best website for hourly/daily wind speed and direction forecasts?

The head lads have their met forecasts all the time but Im just looking to get my own accurate source of info without hassling them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Johnstown might be fairly close to Waterford conditions i'd guess most of the time. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ has 3 hour wind forecasts on it as well as reporting current conditions. Might be of use. Being close to the coast , especially in warm weather, there is likely to be large local variations there due to sea breezes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There is an automatic weather station at Waterford Airport. The number is 051 877000. It gives wind velocity and direction, cloud cover, precipitation, Temp & Dewpoint, QNH and QFE - everything you really need. I find it extremely handy, if I'm ever going to fly in the region, to get an on the spot up to date weather report.

As an aside, do you know where I could get some info on ballooning in this country, it's something I'd love to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

The head lads have their met forecasts all the time but Im just looking to get my own accurate source of info without hassling them.

Thanks

Be ahead of the posse Trotter. Found this site a couple of months ago, and after testing it, have found it to be extremely accurate. It is a "superforecaster", giving hour by hour wind speed forecasts for the next 24/48 hrs, with colour codes for easier reading. Forecasts are based on the GFS, which tend to be very accurate regarding shorterm windspeed forecasts for Ireland.

http://www.swellfinder.com/forecasts/superforecast_uk_ireland_animation.htm

Many other options included as well, but that is for another time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks a lot!!

As for getting involved in ballooning, I stumbled into because my Dad's a pilot. Theres clubs around Dublin. Its just a case of trying to catch a pilot or two and offering to help out. It goes from there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

• Advertisement
Advertisement