Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed Contract but can't move in

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    Myself and friends signed a contract and paid deposit and were due to move into a house tomorrow. We received word today that the current tenants are refusing to leave. Turns out the current tenants' lease runs till December but they had asked the landlord if they could move out mid contract as they were moving down the country. They're no longer going though apparently. We had been told by the letting agent that their lease was up last week but they requested an extra week which we agreed was ok. It seems to me as though the landlady and letting agent have messed up but is there anything we can do? Are the current tenants obliged to leave having verbally agreed to or are they as entitled to be there as we are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,
    Myself and friends signed a contract and paid deposit and were due to move into a house tomorrow. We received word today that the current tenants are refusing to leave. Turns out the current tenants' lease runs till December but they had asked the landlord if they could move out mid contract as they were moving down the country. They're no longer going though apparently. We had been told by the letting agent that their lease was up last week but they requested an extra week which we agreed was ok. It seems to me as though the landlady and letting agent have messed up but is there anything we can do? Are the current tenants obliged to leave having verbally agreed to or are they as entitled to be there as we are?

What date does your "new" lease start at?

I would presume that you should be compensated as the landlord is not able to meet the terms of the lease....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nullandvoid

It was supposed to start this morning.What kind of compensation do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Are the current tenants obliged to leave having verbally agreed to or are they as entitled to be there as we are?

They gave notice to leave, but it might be verbal...

Sadly, the rights and wrongs don't matter, it would take month to force them out legally.

Advertisement