Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking in AUS

Options
  • 19-09-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am just wondering, will I be able to use my AIB ATM card in AUS to withdraw money, or would i be better to bring travellers cheques?
    TIA
    CM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, I've used mine in NZ with no problems, so I'd imagine Aus would be the same. There is a charge for withdrawing money though but as far as I'm aware it's less than the commission you'd have to pay on travellers cheques and it more convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

In oz if you wanna set up a bank acc do it when you first arrive.

There is a points system to setting one up and you can get it done on a passport with a freshly dated entrance stamp, otherwise you have to have proof of address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yeah, I set one up as soon as I got here. I have mine with ANZ who are in Aus too. They gave me an EFTPOS card when I set it up which was handy as I had immediate access to my cash and a way to pay for things.

Also, in case people are interested, I've found it very easy to transfer money between my Irish and NZ accounts. I am still paying a loan off from my Irish account and can transfer money online from my ANZ account to my Irish one. I expected it to be more difficult but it was great.

The same goes for transferring from an Irish bank account to a NZ one. I sent money to my oh's NZ account from Ireland and I could do it online - with a €25 fee of course. It's great if you have a lot of money in one account you want to transfer to another. It saves taking it out of ATMs a bit at a time depending on your laser card limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Isn't it deadly that you can walk into a bank, in my case Bank Of Queensland, set up your acc and be handed your atm card in the spot.

Ireland leaves you waiting a week for the card and a few more days for the pin!

Eftpos is vey handy, i got used to carrying only a small amount of money on me when I was in oz because of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Claasman wrote: »
    Hi
    I am just wondering, will I be able to use my AIB ATM card in AUS to withdraw money, or would i be better to bring travellers cheques?
    TIA
    CM

Yes you can use your card as long as it has either the cirrus or maestro(?) symbol on the bank, you just look for a machine with the cirrus or maestro symbol on it. Which is nearly every proper atm these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement