Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectrum zx (Sinclair ZX Spectrum)

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hey new to this forum does anyone remember the spectrum zx i had one when i was about 7 i remember write the game out my self from book and then edited the program to make my name pop in random spot i got pretty good at the language for a 7 year old lol if anyone is lookin to sell one i might be interested

ty the giggler

micro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

First ever home gaming experience I had was with a ZX Spectrum.

Haven't played one since the eighties actually. I remember it came with a huge box of games, but most of them would crash during the loading.

One game that particularly sticks out in my memory was Barbarian. Probably due to the decapitations. Actually, it's more than likely my first ever experience with videogame violence :eek:

Couple of other games were loved were Target Renegade and Punchy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Games like Booty, Project Future and Horace and the Spiders got me INTO gaming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Elite got me hooked. Then the adventure games, The Hobbit, Lords of Midnight, Doomdark's Revenge

I used to love the Ultimate games too ... Knight Lore, Alien 8, and especially Gunfright.

Saboteur, Way of the Exploding Fist, Match Day, Highway Encounter, Rambo, Robocop ...even a version of R-Type.

Manic Miner, Jetset Willy, Technician Ted, Nodes of Yesod, Dynamite Dan ... all so simple, and so much fun.

Next to Chuckie Egg ... Starquake is probably my favourite Spectrum game ever ... it's the perfect 8bit collect-em-up.

I still have my childhood Spectrum stuff ... including my first 16 Kb model, a 48 Kb model, the Spectrum + my parents thought would help me with my homework :o, and the 128 Kb Spectrum +2 with the cassette player built in.

As for peripherals, I have joysticks, the Interface II (instant 8 bit pirate tool), a light gun (don't laugh) ... I even have a set of micro-drives and cartridges ... some of which can still be loaded.

My wife can just about accept that I must keep all this stuff ... it's in a sort of pirate chest in the attic ... but she cannot fathom why there is a golf ball in with the Spectrum stuff.

Anyone here care to guess the purpose of the golf ball ? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Golf ball is for either Daley Thompsons Decathlon, or Track & Field, either way, you roll it back and forth between the two keys to build up speed/power in the various events.

And I too was a ZX Spectrum owner, got one when I was 12 in '84.
    R-Type was brill but the multi load tape was a pain.
    Quazatron was a fave of mine, as was the Speccy version of Uridium.
    3d Star Strike was a sweet version of Star Wars.
    Tau Ceti and its sequel Academy were ace.
    Knightlore and Alien8 were astounding to see, but I never got too far, unfortunately.
    JetPac was genius however, and I loved the sequel Lunar Jetman.
    I used to read Sinclair User and Crash, essential stuff, also read my mates C&VG too.

Loading times were a real pain though, as were the fiddling with tape head levels to get some games to load.

I have a boxed 16k model and a boxed 48k edition too.
    I'd love a Kempston interface and a Competition Pro joystick.
    My mate Steven swore the Konix stick was better, but he was wrong.
    And wow, didn't the quickshot joysticks suck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i still have the 48k and the 128k+
    my favourite games on it were the Julian Gollop games
    Chaos: Battle of the Wizards
    Rebelstar II
    Laser Squad

• Advertisement
Advertisement