Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco CCent

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi
    i want to do this beginners course, can anyone tell me a good online provider and not too expensive either if possible
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Hi, I'm not sure about were you can do this online but I can tell you that the 2 exam way of obtaining the CCNA is more difficult then just sitting the one exam. Years ago it was easier but from what ive read it is harder now.

If your a beginner why not do a part time evening courses in a local college or something,maybe invest in a home lab!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Barrypr wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not sure about were you can do this online but I can tell you that the 2 exam way of obtaining the CCNA is more difficult then just sitting the one exam. Years ago it was easier but from what ive read it is harder now.
    I disagree. I think there is much more time pressure in the one exam approach than the 2 exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Hello, digging this out just to know if there is a some classroom based CCENT course in Limerick.

If not where would be the nearest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Think UL do a CISCO course there. I'm sure one of the VEC's/PLC's/Fetac colleges might do it. Check out the Senior College in Limerick.

As for online only think fas are starting one online whether its feasible now that fas be changed to solas soon. There is an online version starting next week. You have the option of a strict online or online with blended classroom/workshop/tutor learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

HSI Limerick Business School in Limerick City definitely cater for CISCO courses. LIT as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

thank you guys ! will have a look. Hope they do CCENT as they usually start with CCNA. I just need the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

doovdela wrote: »
    Think UL do a CISCO course there.

Eoin O'Connell in the ECE Department there is the man to speak to about Cisco Certification in UL, there's more info here (not sure how up-to-date it is):

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Science_&_Engineering/Departments/Electronic_&_Computer_Engineering/Future_Students_&_Courses/Other_Courses/CNA

They previously did two-week courses every summer for CCENT and CCNA, and in these you'll get real hands-on experience with Cisco routers and switches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hi,

Have just been speaking to Eoin. The CCENT course is a four day course and is only run once a year guaranteed in the summer.

However, they also run it in January if they have the numbers - Let Eoin know if you're interested.

Regards
    Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Hey
    Did you manage to do the CCENT course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I'm doing the exam in a few weeks.. I will let you know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I'm doing the exam in a few weeks.. I will let you know what it's like.

Thanks. Where you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I'm Doing it in the same college on the 2nd Feb at a cost of €50
    I got a discount for the exam because im doing through a Cisco academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Career-Match/17279578?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_38&a=1676

Was just on Groupon that deals site and seen they have a deal for all
    these Cisco exams and training at 96 % off, usually €3,073.00 but
    there all for €114

CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA SECURITY
    CCNP
    CCNA VOICE

i think it means for that price you get all the training listed not just pick one???? seems like a very good deal.
    I dont know how realistic a work load it is to do yourself online, says you have 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

Just bought it. Returning to Ireland and would like to get into the I.T sector. At that price it's worth giving it a shot to even just build your skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Casshern88 wrote: »
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/Career-Match/17279578?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_38&a=1676

Was just on Groupon that deals site and seen they have a deal for all
    these Cisco exams and training at 96 % off, usually €3,073.00 but
    there all for €114

CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA SECURITY
    CCNP
    CCNA VOICE

i think it means for that price you get all the training listed not just pick one???? seems like a very good deal.
    I dont know how realistic a work load it is to do yourself online, says you have 12 months

Sorry, probably a stupid question but can anyone tell me how this works? What's the story with the "Validity: Your Groupon will expire on 8 March 2013"? Does that mean you have to redeem your voucher before the 8th of March and then you have a year to use the material and apply for the exams?

That's it. Gotta make sure you redeem the groupon by then meaning your year starts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 imPhilip

For anyone interested Internetwork Expert (INE) offer their CCNA and CCNA Voice course free, just register and will have access to their Video Series, they also offer rack rentals and sometimes add free tokens to your account for rack rental time.

I have used them for two of CCNP exams and found them excellent, they give you all the required information and more to pass the exams

http://www.ine.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Used INE also - alot of good free resources on their blog too - blog.ine.com

Just to follow up, I've been working through ICND1 with the career-match website (groupon) and so far it's been pretty interesting. I've noticed that the practice tests all have pretty much the same recurring questions, if anyone else is doing this course is it the same for you?
    Also, a few of you may have already done your CCENT/CCNA exams. How was it? Do you find out there and then your result?
    Is it multiple choice or do you have to build a lab in something like GNS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Result is there and then.

You dont have to build a lab but you will have to trouble pre built networks

Questions are multiple choice, sims, drag and drop

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a nice mix of ways of testing.

Just gotta practice my troubleshooting and commands. Sometimes struggling remembering what does what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

circadian wrote: »
    Just bought it. Returning to Ireland and would like to get into the I.T sector. At that price it's worth giving it a shot to even just build your skillset.

How did you find it? Is it just online access to a load of material? Would you recommend It?

How did you find it? Is it just online access to a load of material? Would you recommend It?

I wouldn't recommend it personally. It's just a dude talking through slides and the labs he does are in Visio with actual hardware so to replicate it in GNS3 can be a pain at times. The only other thing you get is practice tests which ask the same questions and aren't in the actual exam format.
    I'd supplement proper study with it but the guy is really annoying and talks through his arse a lot. He's also a Mac fanboy so there's Microsoft bashing in there for no good reason and he tends to go off on time wasting tangents.

It's certainly not worth the non discounted price, that's for sure.

T-K-O wrote: »

I know this seems like a crazy question, but do they provide pen and paper?

I'm thinking about all the subnetting questions that may come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

circadian wrote: »
    I know this seems like a crazy question, but do they provide pen and paper?

I'm thinking about all the subnetting questions that may come up.

Bring your own just to be sure. A4 pad and some pencils / pens and you're set

Cheers!

Advertisement