Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for someone renting out a room for first time

Options
  • 19-09-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I am going to be renting out a room in my apartment and would appreciate any advice from those who have experience doing this.

Is there anywhere I can get a suitable contract template where everything legal is covered?

Is it usuall to ask for the first months rent up front as well as a deposit (another months rent or 1/2 months rent??).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

This falls under the 'rent a room' scheme - so theres no tenancy agreement as such. The 'roomy' lives there under 'license agreement'. There is no legally binding contract in this case. However, you can put your own agreement on paper - will reinforce your case if there is a problem and clarify for the other person how things are to work in your apartment. I wouldnt mind doing this myself but when your going to be living in the same house as who your renting to, it might come over a bit too rigid.
    As regards payment, the vast majority of people would run with what you suggested and I'd say go with it. Need to cover yourself in case of late payments (deliberate or otherwise) , etc.
    As regards notice period, the only legal guideline is that it should be 'reasonable' - which is vague and open to interpretation. However, general consensus is that notice period should mirror the way they pay ie. if they pay weekly, then one weeks notice; if they pay monthly, then one months notice.

hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gavdbyrne

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yep, the rent a room scheme is class. :)

Get a full months rent as deposit, get them to pay their rent in advance, and make sure they understand they cannot pay their last months rent using their deposit.

Also, be very specific in your advert on daft or whatever. I always put (sounds crazy but it works) things like "if anyone has ever described you as cheap or unreasonable, don't apply" etc.

Advertisement