Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying for a Drink- BBC

Options
  • 19-09-2008 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else watch this and think that it would have been much better with someone else covering it? Not sure what your man's name is, but he really went out of his way to drag out the mundane and try to find problems where there weren't any.

Missed Mock the Week because of that rubbish (was on past my bed time :mad:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will be honest I saw his whinging face and voice , and turned off accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The gig he put on, "is it the lack of drink why your leaving"
    "No it cr&p"

I love how he expected people to give up part of their lives to accomodate him and if they wouldnt it was a weakness for drink on their part

+pumping people full of sugary soft drinks really that much better for them than booze?

Could have been good but it was so bland, only watched a bit

The main problem with Television personalities is they tend to lack personality:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

elshambo wrote: »
    The gig he put on, "is it the lack of drink why your leaving"
    "No it cr&p"

So true! Plus, the scary crusty hippy-punk doing "sexy" dancing was a bit cringe-inducing.

If he had bothered doing proper advertisement for said gig, he would have got a good crowd and a good atmosphere - presenter guy: "is there no atmosphere because there's no drink?", punter: "no, it's because the place is empty". I'm sure there was a "you tool" in the end there, but they must have edited it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I thought it was a good programme that suffered for being an hour long instead of half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Anyone interested in a real documentary about alcohol abuse should watch Paul Watson's superb "Rain in my Heart". Probably the best doc film made in the UK in the last 10 years.

It's on youtube (in 10 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0InrPZpjg

• Advertisement

So true! Plus, the scary crusty hippy-punk doing "sexy" dancing was a bit cringe-inducing.

If he had bothered doing proper advertisement for said gig, he would have got a good crowd and a good atmosphere - presenter guy: "is there no atmosphere because there's no drink?", punter: "no, it's because the place is empty". I'm sure there was a "you tool" in the end there, but they must have edited it out...

Ya but a full room of people enjoying themselves would not have proved his point, television tends to know the outcome it wants to prove a point and engineers that outcome

The key thing was for him to be shown BEGGING people on the street to go to a FREE gig!

Prog on wine on Ch4 the other day, quite good, the woman presenting is a hack though, comparing champagne with sparkling wine to prove champagne is not worth the money, did a test, spoke up the test

THE TEST was stopping TWENTY people on the street and giving them one glass of Champs and one glass of Sparkling wine
    Score was 50/50 which apparently proved champagne not worth the money

Ps champagne is not worth the money, nice italian/Aus sparkling much nicer!:eek:
    Couple of drunk kids trying to have fun, Crusties are not scary in general(apart for the really big ones), in fact they are the least scary people on planet outside of emo's
    Crusties ended up crusties due to a lack of self confinence, saw boo to them and they run

+stop reading the Mail :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Couple of drunk kids trying to have fun, Crusties are not scary in general(apart for the really big ones), in fact they are the least scary people on planet outside of emo's
    Crusties ended up crusties due to a lack of self confinence, saw boo to them and they run

+stop reading the Mail :D

It wasn't so much herself that was scary, more the sultry dancing that was scary, in a cringe-inducing way.

ps: I read it for the articles...!! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Prog on wine on Ch4 the other day, quite good, the woman presenting is a hack though, comparing champagne with sparkling wine to prove champagne is not worth the money, did a test, spoke up the test

THE TEST was stopping TWENTY people on the street and giving them one glass of Champs and one glass of Sparkling wine
    Score was 50/50 which apparently proved champagne not worth the money

Ps champagne is not worth the money, nice italian/Aus sparkling much nicer!:eek:

:D

saw the c4 programme - didnt think it was great - presenter wasnt good and she showed 2 people saying they preferred the sparkling wine and then 1 saying she preferred the champagne then said oh the results were 50/50? and a survey of 20 people -wow!>?

anyhow champagne is expensive also because it is grown on relatively bad soil and yields are low hence price is high. The presenter shoudl really have made this point. Also she went hell for leather against french wine which trys atleast to hold on to tradition. She should went off to the 'new' world and asked about fruit juice being thrown into the caskets for flavour.

dodgyme wrote: »
    saw the c4 programme - didnt think it was great - presenter wasnt good and she showed 2 people saying they preferred the sparkling wine and then 1 saying she preferred the champagne then said oh the results were 50/50? and a survey of 20 people -wow!>?

anyhow champagne is expensive also because it is grown on relatively bad soil and yields are low hence price is high. The presenter shoudl really have made this point. Also she went hell for leather against french wine which trys atleast to hold on to tradition. She should went off to the 'new' world and asked about fruit juice being thrown into the caskets for flavour.

Ya as I said she is a hack, seen her on dispaches or something like it before,
    no time for her at all.
    "Champagne is a disgrace but i still like champagne" etc

When I said the show was "quite good" Id realized my last 10 posts or so were me saying "this is sh*te" so it was a tone down:D

Gave up on wine about a year ago, poor man's expensive cider:eek:

Advertisement