Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teak or mahogany???

Options
  • 18-09-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Just looking for opinions on which is better for a front door, teak of mahogany??
    I know they are both hardwood and maybe there is little or no difference between the two.
    Your views would be greatly appreciated.
    dcom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi dcom
    In MY opinion teak would be the better option as it contains natural oils which repel the good ole weather here. In my experience mahogany would be more suited to indoor furniture.
    Hope this helps
    Jac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yep, teak, for the reasons that misschipp stated. You'll find that most external wooden doors are made of teak for those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Teak it is so......:D
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Alot of the "teak" you find, is actually iroko, very similar though. External suited etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

Mellor wrote: »
    Alot of the "teak" you find, is actually iroko, very similar though. External suited etc

Too true, the genuine teak is hard to come by. A lot of architects are now specifying external joinery in iroko, which is quite often left untreated and allowed to weather, it's classed as being "very durable", it's a great hardwood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement