Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you started your dissertation?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

We had our first talk about dissertations today, its only a week into the course! Anyone else? I've been thinking about it obviously but nothing serious, thought I was going to get a headstart on the class/lecturers but it seems not. Also when did they change the name thesis to dissertation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

They are using dissertation or minor thesis to describe written work between 12 and 20,000 words, which I presume your thesis will be. is your course a taught postgrad or a research one? They will always encourage people to think about these things at the early possible opportunity, a dissertation shouldnt take more than six months from start to finish but its good to be sure of what you are going to do long before you start the reading. During the summer I was getting quite depressed with my topic, and my supervisors said it wasn't too late to change your mind. So don't worry to much. They always try to light a fire underneath the students, to keep them on their toes. But in a taught masters remember you will have essays etc which will be your first priority. My essays were worth half my final marks, so its equally as important to stay on top of the course material. In most cases, the thesis/dissertation is more of a "passion" project so your motivation is generally higher for your thesis. Its important then to devote equal energy to coursework, even if it seems like a chore.

If you are doing a research masters on the other hand, you should have had an idea before entering the course or at least working on it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its taught, and 15000 words. I'm not worried yet! But it was a bit surprising to hear the lecturer say how important it was (well obviously I know!) since he was telling us not to worry about everything else, and that they didn't count for much etc. Yeah we have essays coming up, the first one is due for the first week of October. I was thinking about the dissertation anyways, cause I want to do a good job and possibly(possibly!) try and get it done a month or two before August-basically as early as possible, without compromising quality obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

I think when they say that none of the other course-work matters really makes reference to those who want to continue with academic study. How you cope with the isolation and hard-work in your thesis will potentially decide your capability in this regard. It's also worth remembering, whether you ask for an academic reference immediately after your course or several years down the line, they will turn to your thesis as it's either fresh on their minds or will help to jog their memories.

It is also your "statement" as a grad student, and reflects more aspects of your character than several itty-bitty essays will, even if they are of the same word count or credit weighting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hey, figured there's no point in starting a whole new topic when this one is here already.

Anyone else here doing a taught masters and trying to think of thesis ideas?? I now have less than two weeks before I have to hand up 1000 words on roughly what my thesis will be about. I could change it after of course, but even this preliminary thing has me worried as I have to present it to a lot of people, and really don't want to screw up.

How did you people think of research questions?? I know the general area I'm interested in, but it all seems to have been researched to death. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What course are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah my masters is taught. I know it would be cool to come up with something totally new, but that's not really going to be the case. Besides you want to save that for the phd! Take the topic you are interested in and try and look at it from a new angle, rather than starting from a blank canvas. You can change it later as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I'm having the same problem, but mine only has to be about 15,000 words so it's not too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Concentrate on getting your essays done well. I assume they count for 2/3 your marks right?
    The idea for your dissertation will come with time, especially after you've spent time researching for class work etc. Don't worry - when i did my MA last year about 90% of students had no clue of their thesis question at this stage of the year. Hand something in, get feedback, try to come up with a concrete question over the christmas, read up bits and pieces next semester and write the thing in May-Sept. Not a bother on ya.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks guys! Mine's a taught MA in Development studies. Love the course, and have loads of things I would love to write about. Just having trouble with the hypothesis/theory/dependent and independent variables bit. Trying to think of a topic for which I have all that is the hard bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Well the fact that you're thinking about that indicates you're on the right track. I dont think some of the ones in my class last year ever figured out what their dependent/independent variables were :) Results for me next week or so. Nervous times^^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

dory wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Mine's a taught MA in Development studies. Love the course, and have loads of things I would love to write about. Just having trouble with the hypothesis/theory/dependent and independent variables bit. Trying to think of a topic for which I have all that is the hard bit!

I would suggest contacting relevant organisations to see if there is any research that they need doing or analysing. Then you also have the satisfaction of knowing that your thesis is relevant.

More advice is reading the conclusion section of journal articles on topic you're interested in and seeing what they say - there's normally a bit about "more research needs to be done into x, y ..."

Advertisement