Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rents in Ireland / Limerick compared to last year

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Lease started last november is now coming to an end. Got a letter from the agency saying they wanted to increase the rent by 50 euro a month.
    I saw last month a flat in the same building (probably identical) avialble for 50 less than what we pay per month.
    I'm under the impression that rents in general have gone down since this time last year. Am I correct in this; and in thinking the landlord/agency is chancing their arm?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You're right that the general trend has been down. You saw a flat in the same building for less rent, what better indicator could you have? I'd tell the agency you won't be accepting any increase, or if you want then ask for a decrease in rent, or you're moving out. Feel free to point out to the rising rental inventory, and the flat that came up in the building for less.

Landlords who get greedy over rent in the current environment risk losing out. Let them know you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Huge amounts of good rental place in Limerick at the moment. Dont take an increase, it will take them a long time to fill it again and they will know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

as you said before yopu moved there in a hurry

ask for a decrease for the craic then move out when he refuses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Can I take a wild guess that your agency has the initials of SFO?
    They were hilarious when I was looking, you would see an ad for an apartment for 900 on daft with the other agencies and then further down the page was an ad with them for the same spec apartment in the same building on the same floor for 1100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

nope they're castle estates.
    Lousy attitude. Terrified of upsetting landlords and talk down to tenants. Much worse, they sent me a letter incorrectly stating that they had not received a month's rent, then demanded to see my bank statement when I told them this (which I refused to provide) before finally admitting it was a mistake on their part (without aplogising).

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    nope they're castle estates.
    Lousy attitude. Terrified of upsetting landlords and talk down to tenants. Much worse, they sent me a letter incorrectly stating that they had not received a month's rent, then demanded to see my bank statement when I told them this (which I refused to provide) before finally admitting it was a mistake on their part (without aplogising).

on the bright side they don't make you pay for your neighbours lecky

how do you know so much about me? Do you search through all my posts or something?You're freaking me out a bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

boards.ie: where you'll be stalked for no apparent reason.

Igy wrote: »
    boards.ie: where you'll be stalked for no apparent reason.

lol

i've met this chap in rl

whats the decision pwd

thought I'd already said. Not going to pay the extra rent. Might move anyway (nothing to do with the proposed increase) or might make a counter offer.

• Advertisement

Ok this is all sorted out now. The lease was extended at the same rent. We replied in writing stating that there were other similar properties available and that the market rate had gone down etc and offered to pay the same rent. That was accepted straight away. So it shows it is worth negotiating these things for anyone in a similar situation.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Good for you pwd! :)

stalke3r :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Tigger wrote: »
    stalke3r :)

;)

Advertisement