Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Xbox 360's (From 19/09/08)...?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Saw this in the rag* that is The Sun today.

Not sure if it's a good price as I'm a PS3 gamer myself, but looking at old threads it seems to be a good price. I'm sure like the PS3 there is variations with bigger or smaller Harddiscs etc.... but thought I'd spread the word just incase!

DSC01160-1.jpg

*personal opinion on The Sun :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/16/xbox-360-price-cut-europe.aspx

Its due to this m8, thats the arcade version which doesn't include a hard disk, afaik it comes with a memory unit though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

yoyo wrote: »
    Its due to this m8, thats the arcade version which doesn't include a hard disk, afaik it comes with a memory unit though

Ah I see, well, just that there was a thread the other day re Tesco "possibly" having 360's for €150, so thought it may be of interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is it possible to use a hd from an old premium 360 on a core/arcade model or is the hd 'paired' with the old machine?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is it possible to use a hd from an old premium 360 on a core/arcade model or is the hd 'paired' with the old machine?
    Its very possible to do this im sure

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

mloc123 wrote: »

You can yeah, might do this as I'm tired of bring my 3rod 360 back from the dead each week.

Was in Game today and they had the 60gig premiums down to 239 the elites 299 and the arcades 179.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

can you not just plug in a cheap 120G ide or sata disk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

trellheim wrote: »
    can you not just plug in a cheap 120G ide or sata disk

Then how would Microsoft make a ridiculous profit on it? Come on Trellheim, have a heart:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

If I get the Arcade and add a 20 gig HD will it be just the same as a normal one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

If I get the Arcade and add a 20 gig HD will it be just the same as a normal one?

Exactly, only you'll have a newer, more reliable (but certainly not invincible) model with HDMI and a little memory card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn at that price I'd consider getting one but my big question is, how much life is left in the 360? It's been out a long time now. Have there been any rumours about a replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hmnn at that price I'd consider getting one but my big question is, how much life is left in the 360? It's been out a long time now. Have there been any rumours about a replacement?

I wouldnt be too worried for a while yet tbh.Graphics-wise, its still pretty much on a par with the ps3.There are still a LOAD of games coming out in the next few months, not-a-mind mentioning some of the big ones!!(GoW 2:D:D:D).At 240e, too, its great value.I got my (Second btw, First one dont ask:rolleyes:)360 there last december.Set me back 360e so it dropping 120e in just 10 months aint bad at all.

As for a replacement, i wouldnt expect anything for another 2 years at least.Go and get a 60gb one now and it should have payed itself back in entertainment value by the time the successor comes anyway!

As for it being out a long time, 3 years aint that long really, even in the video games sector

I'll wait another month or two for the game packs to come out. I imagine there's a lot of older game's they'll want to shift out.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be too worried for a while yet tbh.Graphics-wise, its still pretty much on a par with the ps3.There are still a LOAD of games coming out in the next few months, not-a-mind mentioning some of the big ones!!(GoW 2:D:D:D).At 240e, too, its great value.I got my (Second btw, First one dont ask:rolleyes:)360 there last december.Set me back 360e so it dropping 120e in just 10 months aint bad at all.

As for a replacement, i wouldnt expect anything for another 2 years at least.Go and get a 60gb one now and it should have payed itself back in entertainment value by the time the successor comes anyway!

As for it being out a long time, 3 years aint that long really, even in the video games sector

The 360 is more powerful than the PS3 effectively because the PS3 is poorly designed with a lot of bottlenecks. The 360 has at least 3-5 years left in it. It's more powerful than expected, it' possibly better than most low/mid end gaming machines. PS2 was still hot **** 6 years after it's launch. Though that was a better console, the 360 is the best of a bad bunch.

Really now is the time to get a 360. It's about half way through it's life, so expect the REALLY good games to start hitting over the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SamoZlo

The 360 is more powerful than the PS3 It's more powerful than expected

huh?
    Really now is the time to get a 360. It's about half way through it's life, so expect the REALLY good games to start hitting over the next year.

apart from Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 - are there any interesting exclusives for XO comming in near future? all other will be available for PS3 as well. and PS3 versions of the games don't look worse than XO versions anymore.

but if you want to play Final Fantasy XIII as cheap as possible - buy the XBox 360 - that's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

I'll wait another month or two for the game packs to come out. I imagine there's a lot of older game's they'll want to shift out.

buy it and stop being so mean, before you know it we will all be flying around in space mobiles and you will still be cutting your grass with a push lawnmower .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

SamoZlo wrote: »
    apart from Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 - are there any interesting exclusives for XO comming in near future? all other will be available for PS3 as well. and PS3 versions of the games don't look worse than XO versions anymore.

but if you want to play Final Fantasy XIII as cheap as possible - buy the XBox 360 - that's the only way.

Nothing too exciting but then again off the top of my head cant think of any ps3 exclusives coming out this year or any worth nothing on par with the two already mentioned coming to the 360.

As for a replacement i wouldnt hold your breath, the 360 is doing far better than the orignal xbox and if peter moores recent interview is to be believed then the only reason the xbox 1 was ceased was cause microsoft where loosing money on every xbox they sold they needed the 360 so they could start making money on the hardware. Microsoft are apparently able to cover costs on the xbox hence the reason for the price drop where as sony are loosing on the ps3. 360 probably has a good few years left in it before we start hearing serious rumours of a new xbox. So no reason not to get a 360 unless your not into the exclusives on it and you really want bluray.

The 360 is more powerful than the PS3 effectively because the PS3 is poorly designed with a lot of bottlenecks. The 360 has at least 3-5 years left in it. It's more powerful than expected, it' possibly better than most low/mid end gaming machines. PS2 was still hot **** 6 years after it's launch. Though that was a better console, the 360 is the best of a bad bunch.

Your talking Crap student, the PS3 is the more powerful machine better spec'd and better designed and more reliable, even Microsoft agree that the 360 was rushed to market without ironing out all the bugs.

Back on topic I believe I'll wait for the Jasper version of the motherboad as it should address a lot of the issues with the GPU as it will be using 65nm process to produce it. Hexus reckoned with the price cut these should start appearing on shelves pretty soon.
    http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15488

Your talking Crap student, the PS3 is the more powerful machine better spec'd and better designed and more reliable, even Microsoft agree that the 360 was rushed to market without ironing out all the bugs.

Back on topic I believe I'll wait for the Jasper version of the motherboad as it should address a lot of the issues with the GPU as it will be using 65nm process to produce it. Hexus reckoned with the price cut these should start appearing on shelves pretty soon.

The first batch of 360s maybe but after that no. Graphically, if you compare PS3 and Xbox versions, on games like Assassin's Creed, there's a notable frame rate drop on the PS3 version. Again, the numbers, on paper, for the PS3 are better, but it's designed as to have bottlenecks that make sure they can't work at their best. For example my laptop was an 9500MGS which should be more than enough to run Team Fortress 2 on full but I still get slowdown because Valve are lazy bastards who won't put in proper dual core support, and I only have a 2ghz processor. Here the CPU is acting as a bottleneck. I'm not sure, but I believe the PS2 has a poor cache somewhere.

Sony do this all the time. The PS2 wasn't better than the Dreamcast either because it had sit all VRAM(4 Megs, as opposed to DC's 16). Man games ran in a lower resolution and were very jaggy.

The first batch of 360s maybe but after that no. Graphically, if you compare PS3 and Xbox versions, on games like Assassin's Creed, there's a notable frame rate drop on the PS3 version. Again, the numbers, on paper, for the PS3 are better, but it's designed as to have bottlenecks that make sure they can't work at their best. For example my laptop was an 9500MGS which should be more than enough to run Team Fortress 2 on full but I still get slowdown because Valve are lazy bastards who won't put in proper dual core support, and I only have a 2ghz processor. Here the CPU is acting as a bottleneck. I'm not sure, but I believe the PS2 has a poor cache somewhere.

Sony do this all the time. The PS2 wasn't better than the Dreamcast either because it had sit all VRAM(4 Megs, as opposed to DC's 16). Man games ran in a lower resolution and were very jaggy.

Nope what planet are u living on? even the latest versions of the 360 are still getting 3ROD's check out the xbox forum on here there are people reporting daily of 360's failing and this will continue until they release a smaller die for the GPU. As games on the 360, the issue is lazy game developers who are just doing poor 360 ports for the the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

As somebody who has totally lost interest in consoles at this stage, can you tell me what the difference is between all the xbox 360 consoles as I have a young lad asking about buying one with money he has saved. Do you have to have a hard drive, or what advantages/disadvantages are there with this new model? Sorry for being such a duh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The first batch of 360s maybe but after that no. Graphically, if you compare PS3 and Xbox versions, on games like Assassin's Creed, there's a notable frame rate drop on the PS3 version. Again, the numbers, on paper, for the PS3 are better, but it's designed as to have bottlenecks that make sure they can't work at their best. For example my laptop was an 9500MGS which should be more than enough to run Team Fortress 2 on full but I still get slowdown because Valve are lazy bastards who won't put in proper dual core support, and I only have a 2ghz processor. Here the CPU is acting as a bottleneck.

I know it's off topic but what processor is it you have? If it's a core 2 duo then your processor isn't holding you back. The core 2 duos are way more efficient than the older pentium 4s. Even if it's only using one core that won't be a problem. Something else must be holding you back, what resolution are you running at?

whisht wrote: »
    As somebody who has totally lost interest in consoles at this stage, can you tell me what the difference is between all the xbox 360 consoles as I have a young lad asking about buying one with money he has saved. Do you have to have a hard drive, or what advantages/disadvantages are there with this new model? Sorry for being such a duh!

I would recommend you get a premium with a 60gig harddrive for 239, ok you can get the arcade version for 180, but you really need the harddrive for things like downloadable content, game saves add on maps, console upgrades etc, think you might need it as well if he is going to sign up to Xbox Live.
    I doubt there will be another price cut this year, I would also think that M$ will shift a lot of 360's in the run up to christmas.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Actually he is telling the truth, the CPU is more powerful in the PS3 (360 has a better GPU) but due to a bottleneck between it and the GPU, you can't harness the full power of the CPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

PS3 uses cell cpus ,unique to ps3,360 is basically a multicore pc,so its as easy to program for as a pc,so its much harder to program for a ps3,hence theres many more games designed/released for the 360 .I reckon its got another 3 years life in it.And if you want online multiplayer ,xbox live is avaidable,and you can just download demos, free without paying for a live account.
    even on sdtv the 360 games look fantastic.The ps3 games seem to be much more expensive,than 360 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Have to say here even as a proud PS3 owner that even though it is technically higher powered in the CPU department it's GPU is less powerful and has half the memory iirc.
    If you can ignore it's reliability issues (i can't but most do if you think about it) the 360 is right now a better utilised platform.
    TBH sony got ahead of themselves designing a completely new kind of CPU and have frankly shot themselves in the foot because they made somehing thats just a bitch to develop for which has meant delayed release dates on certain multi platform titles for them.
    That said even given the GPU bottle neck if they could get the development issues ironed out and made easier for games makers and couple that with utilising bluerays capacity i think it could have a longer life than we think and may pull away from the 360 if they can release the full potential of it's CPU horsepower.
    It's single biggest saving grace though is the fact that it's a cheap ass High Def player.

Ok just checking the Argos site and they have the following pricing

Xbox 360 Arcade €169.99
    Xbox 360 Premium 20gig harddrive €229.99

Elite is same price as everywhere else 299.99

linky http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID70/10392632/c_1/2%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C10392632/r_1/1%7CPrice+Cut%7CYes%7C1.htm

Advertisement