Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance for bikes

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi

I have managed to get a good deal on a very nice cyclocross bike that I will mainly use for commuting.
    Obviously I will try to put it in a safe place with a good lock etc., but this time I really want to insure the bike properly. Our home insurance is not an option - I have already talked to them.

Any other options out there?

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/download/RSA%20Cycle%20Ireland%20Advert1.pdf?id=MjUx

try that link from the cyclingireland website. I have yet to sort my insurance out as well and saw this the other day.

Actually, I'll call them now and report back here.

ha ha ---- no answer after 5 minutes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

They might close for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi

I have talked to them, or more precisely, to the CI: it's for members only, and designed for those that race and train... and not for commuters...
    Maybe it's still relevant for you?? Call the CI number, they do answer the phone.

I have also found a thread from August or sth: 123 can include bike cover in your home insurance. Mr sf talked to them and they said no problem, so we might move to them.
    But I am a bit weary of this whole thing: 2 days ago we talked to allianz, we have a home insurance policy with them, and they told us that they can insure the bike up to a value of €1,000, at no extra charge. Today we get the letter, confirming this arrangement. On the receipt of the letter, Mr sf calls to inquire whether it is possible to include one more bike, just to find out that the whole thing was a mistake, they don't include bikes at all!!!??? really frustrating... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Not sure who I'm insured by atm (will check tonight), but both my bikes are covered up to replacement value... think there's a 200 quid excess, but they're covered for theft and crash damage -just not while racing. Only downside is that it's not available to those who rent...

I work in an Insurance Brokers and beofre you start bombarding me with questions I do the accounts and have little knowledge of insurance itself.

I sent an e-mail to a few different companies requesting information on what levels of Pedal Cycle they give.

I have attached a copy of the policy booklet where I have my house insurance with. Well I scanned the page where it mentions Pedal Cycle Cover. It sounds like the company Tiny has his insurance with.

When I have more info I will pass it on.

Pedal Cycle Cover.JPG

When you open the attachment just click on it to enlarge it.

That's the one I have alright

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Chill.ie will cover bikes over a value of either 350 or 400 and they will cover renters as well. Bike has to be locked in the house or a secure bike shed I think is the only stipulation.

That's the one I have alright

You must be insured with a broker as that company only deal through brokers (I think)

• Advertisement

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    You must be insured with a broker as that company only deal through brokers (I think)

Makes sense... it's through a broker in Galway that we get insurance (were too lazy to move brokers when we left the west!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I have the insurance with the same place as you guys too. Not too expensive. I've only just added the bikes on.
    might be an idea to change home insurance scaryfairy if its not too much hassle for you.

Makes sense... it's through a broker in Galway that we get insurance (were too lazy to move brokers when we left the west!)

That's terrible I never thought you were lazy. To make it easy for you there's a brokers on Dorset Street which I know is close to your work that would be able to organise it for you, they have an office in Finglas also.

They're a lovely bunch of people!

That's terrible I never thought you were lazy. To make it easy for you there's a brokers on Dorset Street which I know is close to your work that would be able to organise it for you, they have an office in Finglas also.

They're a lovely bunch of people!

I am pretty lazy, but mostly it's not my decision... luckily my landlord is also my ma, and I rent of her so they deal with all the insurance :)

I am pretty lazy, but mostly it's not my decision... luckily my landlord is also my ma, and I rent of her so they deal with all the insurance :)

Your Ma's hardly a boardsie is she. I could have a word with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

LDB wrote: »
    I have the insurance with the same place as you guys too. Not too expensive. I've only just added the bikes on.
    might be an idea to change home insurance scaryfairy if its not too much hassle for you.

yeah, thanks, that's the idea. Just got a quote from 123, sounds like it's doable but will have to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Basically I want the bike covered everywhere (it's already covered in hte house + shed under our current policy). I know, I shouldn't commute on a nice bike unless I can put it somewhere safe, but I am still hoping we can sort sth out

thanks for all the tips :)

Your Ma's hardly a boardsie is she. I could have a word with her.

Afraid she's not... Mammy Explosions only uses t'internet to find cheap holidays and to play sudoku, so there'd be no talking to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭marathonic

I'm insured through LABrokers.ie - I think it's underwritten by Lloyds. For my policy, I can add my Planet X with a value of 1,400 euro for an additional 20 euro per year. I haven't done it yet but have a feeling that maybe I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

Is it possible to just insure my bike?

I live in rented accomodation, and dont own much else of value other than my bike, so i dont want to take out home&contents insurance (€200+ when i checked yesterday). Aswell as using my bike for cyclings sake (triathalons), I use my bike to spin into town sometimes to run errands or meet friends. Also use it to go to the gym. I would like to insure my bike so that if its robbed when i lock it up in town i dont get stung. My bike is a new trek1.2 (€650)

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Im sick of worrying about my bike- it puts me off using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I am in the same boat, I only want to insure my steed against theft and accidents as I do not have house cover. I have tried plenty of insurance companies throughout Ireland but with no luck, I even tried some motorbike insurance people! This type of insurance cover is widely available in the UK but not here, Why not?!

• Advertisement

I think part of the problem is being in rented accommodation -insurance companies seem reticent to insure you if you rent, particularly if you share.... it's certainly a gap in the market, though maybe the risk is too high for the insurers?

Advertisement