Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galligan Beauty College

Options
  • 18-09-2008 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Has anybody been to this college on Grafton St. or know or know of anybody who attended in the past??

I am considering going here but have heard mixed reports and I'm looking for a neutral opinion.

Can anyone help??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hotstuff2

I know someone who went there and doesn't recommend it. Have you tried Bronwyn Conroy in Blackrock, they are supposed to be excellent. It's on the dart line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Funnily enough, I heard that too.

I would definitely go for Bronwyn Conroy or for Portobello College

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Funnily enough, I heard that too.

I would definitely go for Bronwyn Conroy or for Portobello College

:eek:really??

F *k, I have paid my deposit (5k) and have been messed around ever since I paid it. They want to put me into a size 18 uniform just cos they had no other sizes available. I am a size 14-16 at most. Really fed up and I havent started with them yet.. That is just one of the problems I have been having..

What are the chances of me getting my money back since the classes start on Tues??? Sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I went to this college and thought it was great. I think to be honest, all the colleges are the same.

Bare in mind, the year i did it, the gel nail course was an extra expense, as was the make up kit.

ALso, be known that it is really, really hard work to fit it all in the year. The amount of times I was in tears with stress! Just don't leave assignments etc til the last minute like me!!

SarahJ wrote: »
    I went to this college and thought it was great. I think to be honest, all the colleges are the same.

Bare in mind, the year i did it, the gel nail course was an extra expense, as was the make up kit.

ALso, be known that it is really, really hard work to fit it all in the year. The amount of times I was in tears with stress! Just don't leave assignments etc til the last minute like me!!

Thanks SarahJ, how long ago did you do the course? The gel nails is still not on the syllabus (sp) but we will be buying the make up kits in Dec at €147..

Everyone keeps saying that it is intense but after being out of school since 96, I really cant imagine it..

How many assigments did you have to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

F *k, I have paid my deposit (5k) and have been messed around ever since I paid it. They want to put me into a size 18 uniform just cos they had no other sizes available. I am a size 14-16 at most. Really fed up and I havent started with them yet.. That is just one of the problems I have been having..

What are the chances of me getting my money back since the classes start on Tues??? Sh*t...

If it's any help, I am a size 14-16 too but my uniforms are an 18. Once you put it on you'll understand why!!

Is it a full or part time course you are doing? I have just done a year of beauty therapy and after qualifying I did a second year of massage (and passed that too!!) though not in Dublin.

I did these as well as working full time and commuting to Dublin for my job daily...and yes, it is stressful!

I did it about 3 years ago, no seriously, it is quite tough.

Everyone said it to me, and I was like, yea yea whatever.

But you have to do a thesis, multiple case studies for each subject, and extra subject, and having tests evey week.

Argh thinking back makes me feel ill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I did it about 3 years ago, no seriously, it is quite tough.

Everyone said it to me, and I was like, yea yea whatever.

But you have to do a thesis, multiple case studies for each subject, and extra subject, and having tests evey week.

Argh thinking back makes me feel ill :(

And would you recommend this college Sarah J?

Yea I would, it was great, but as I said, its prob the same as any other one. The Teachers were great, especially a teacher named Claire, not sure if she is still there. She knows her stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Sorry, that's just what I've heard. I'm sure it is fine, I think maybe the girl I heard it from didn't get on with the tutors. I just suggested Bronwyn Conroy as a friend of mine worked there so she highly reccommends it.

As for getting your money back, you'll lose your deposit anyway!

As someone said below, you'll understand when u put the uniform on, I'm an 8 but always wore a 10 because trying to massage in an 8 was impossible, couldn't move my arms and then if it's too small the buttons are popping open

Eurgh case studies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea where the make up kits are from? I worked in a company that did the kits for SCD and I know the cost of the stuff so they arent over charging or anything! Still alot of money!

• Advertisement

Sorry, that's just what I've heard. I'm sure it is fine, I think maybe the girl I heard it from didn't get on with the tutors. I just suggested Bronwyn Conroy as a friend of mine worked there so she highly reccommends it.

As for getting your money back, you'll lose your deposit anyway!

As someone said below, you'll understand when u put the uniform on, I'm an 8 but always wore a 10 because trying to massage in an 8 was impossible, couldn't move my arms and then if it's too small the buttons are popping open

Eurgh case studies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea where the make up kits are from? I worked in a company that did the kits for SCD and I know the cost of the stuff so they arent over charging or anything! Still alot of money!

I havent a clue where the kits are from but just checked the price list and it costs €180 for the books and the make up kit is costing €175.

They better not be making a profit on the books & kits.. :p

AS for the sizes in uniform, I suppose your right, I just seen red when she told me I was going into an 18! I swear I'm not that big!

Since you both done the course before, what one tip to get through the year would you give?

I would just tell people to keep on top of it. If you're gona pay that money, don't treat it like school and say 'ah I'll do the assignment later', or 'I'll wing this test'.

Do the work, and it'll be worth it in the end

Since you both done the course before, what one tip to get through the year would you give?

I would also say stay on top of your work and study! I think that people in general think it's like 'why would you study to know what colour lippy to put on someone :rolleyes:' but the A&P side of it is comparable to first year nursing according to my ex nurse friend who did the course with me.

The case studies are a nightmare so as soon as you get the guidelines start them! I have lost every bank holiday over the last two years doing case studies and drawing and colouring diagrams of kidneys and hearts!

We had tests every week and they were easy if you studied...but a flipping nightmare if you didn't!

Oh, and try and line up 3 models for your exams rather than the two they ask for...one will always let you down!!

I would also say stay on top of your work and study! I think that people in general think it's like 'why would you study to know what colour lippy to put on someone :rolleyes:' but the A&P side of it is comparable to first year nursing according to my ex nurse friend who did the course with me.

The case studies are a nightmare so as soon as you get the guidelines start them! I have lost every bank holiday over the last two years doing case studies and drawing and colouring diagrams of kidneys and hearts!

We had tests every week and they were easy if you studied...but a flipping nightmare if you didn't!

Oh, and try and line up 3 models for your exams rather than the two they ask for...one will always let you down!!

Thanks Curvy, there are good points to remember, especially the models!! I have tried to book people in advance to come in but they are being very cagey!

We will be having tests each Friday, I havent done an exam since my LC in 97! I will be a nervous mess for my first one :rolleyes:

What did you do your case studies on?

The case studies are a bit of a weird one....

When I did Beauty Therapy we had to do 6 case studies on 6 different women (made up ones from our heads!) But the guidelines said that we had to treat them as if they were customers, that had been to us over the year, and had had every type of treatment done to them. But we had to do a synopsis of who they were at the beginning of each one, so you would make up a busy mum of two kids and an office worker and an older lady etc. They all have different needs, skin types etc. Then you had to go through how you did facials, different waxing, tints, make-ups etc. They are very involved.

Second year I did massage and they same sort of set up but they all had different massage requirements.

They are a pain in the @rse tbh!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement