Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai Girl

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:18am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm really not sure what to make of this show.

Sometimes it's a strange combination of Beverly Hills 90210 and Alias, but with a really hot Samurai chick instead of a hot spy.

Other times, it leans towards a dark, dark place and you immediately want to turn it off, but if you can persevere then there are some really fun action scenes, an engaging story and well developed characters.

In fact, most of my issues with the show are tedious, character development scenes, kinda like Smallville did. Somewhat pointless scenes where the characters dish out their emotions like they were wooden puppets, putting on a caricature of real life.

But like Sarah Connor Chronicles, I think there is a really decent show, waiting to burst out. Every so often a hint of its awesome potential reaches the t.v. and you are captivated and when it does, you'll realise it's definitely worth watching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Pics,plot etc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Nerin wrote: »
    Pics,plot etc?
    Hmm, there was a time when a boardsies recommendation was enough to get people to look into it themselves but ok...

Its about a girl named Heaven :rolleyes: who's an adopted daughter of a rich Japanese business family. Her family take her to San Francisco to complete an arranged marriage, arranged from when she was a baby.

At her traditional Japanese wedding a group of ninja's attack the place and attempt to kidnap her, but she's rescued by her estranged brother.

Things take a walk into the realm of the mystical and samurai/ninja types.

Hope that sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Ivan wrote: »
    Hmm, there was a time when a boardsies recommendation was enough to get people to look into it themselves but ok...

Its about a girl named Heaven :rolleyes: who's an adopted daughter of a rich Japanese business family. Her family take her to San Francisco to complete an arranged marriage, arranged from when she was a baby.

At her traditional Japanese wedding a group of ninja's attack the place and attempt to kidnap her, but she's rescued by her estranged brother.

Things take a walk into the realm of the mystical and samurai/ninja types.

Hope that sums it up.

i'm mobile,looking into it would freeze my phones already dying memory :p sounds like it could be either really good or really bad. Is it filled with cliches?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One problem with this show is that it was on ABC Family, so it could only go so far.

It was a 3 part mini-series that aired on consecutive nights about 3 weeks ago.

What do you mean by only go so far?

There are scenes where a guy is sent plummeting to his death, several killings with guns and multiple stabbings and whatnot...

Or do you mean that it doesnt have the funding to get any more series out of it?

That would be a shame, it shows some really solid potential and while I initially started watching it, laughing at all the clichés and cheesy dialogue, its appeal has definitely grown on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No, I actually heard it was pretty tame (since its aimed for family viewing!).
    Obviously not!

Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ivan wrote: »
    What do you mean by only go so far?

There are scenes where a guy is sent plummeting to his death, several killings with guns and multiple stabbings and whatnot...

True, but for a show that has most characters using samurai swords in fight scenes, there is very little blood and that is a result of it being on ABC Family - that's most likely the reason for the whole "relationships" side of it, with the geek, the girly and Jake.

Still, I found it to be a fun little distraction but definitely can't see it going in an Alias/Sarah Connor direction - again, only because it's an ABC Family show. I was a bit annoyed at the ending, but I'm guessing this is a shortened season/back-door pilot kinda thing and if it got decent ratings, it might get a full season pickup next year, hence the ending...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i thought it was a tweens show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Watched the first 2 episodes. It's pretty poor as far as story / plotting are concerned. - there's no spark to it. The leads are fairly blad too.

So, v. poor story and bland characters. One to avoid (imo).

i thought it was a tweens show?
    Guess I'm a tween at heart then :p

And I think it is slow going for the first 2 episodes, as I said, there is a bit of a hump you need to get over. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. I know there are several shows some of my friends love that I can't tolerate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement