Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic downturn

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

hmmmm, It would appear that the world is fu(ked. Are we safe over here?
    I have quite the lavish lifestyle over here and im not giving it up.

Start putting my mind at ease annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Where I work seems to be ok. We've been told to pull in our belts a bit and they took a bit off the budget but otherwise sales still seem pretty strong.

I do think it'll take longer for ane economic downturn to get to NZ though - because everything takes longer to get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

watna wrote: »
    Where I work seems to be ok. We've been told to pull in our belts a bit and they took a bit off the budget but otherwise sales still seem pretty strong.

I do think it'll take longer for ane economic downturn to get to NZ though - because everything takes longer to get here!

Good man yourself, someone finally answered. Thing are gettin pretty messed up back home ay? Hopefully we are high and dry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I is a lay-dee!

Yeah, I've a friend working in a property company at home and her emails are sounding quite depressed. She just bought an apartment with her bf and everything. I think she'll be ok though. I think people won't have as much money to throw around but will manage.

I actually just got made permanent at work and got a payrise..... and I got quite a fancy thank you gift for working hard so I'm not feeling it yet.

I work in an (American based) insurance company and there was a lot of talk over the last two days with the whole AIG thing. Apparently that won't affect AIG NZ much for some business reasons that I don't understand which reassured me a bit. I wasn't sure how much of an effect American business would have on NZ versus Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

If the world is f**ked, what's the point in me thinking about emigrating to oz, for work....??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

to be honest, in my little piece of kiwi life, the downturn's being felt. me and my fella are both on quite low incomes, and things like petrol and milk products are becoming more luxury products, with the impact that cereal is no longer a viable daily breakfast thing, so turning more and more to bread, toast, and other less nutritious stuff when we're feelign the pinch.

jobwise, economy's on a downturn, everyone knows it...how is that gonna affect my working visa application? you dont want moe foreigners in when people cant gaet jobs to begin with.

oh, and congrats on being made permanant watna!

• Advertisement

eat porridge! cheap and good for you! what's the general consensus in Oz about the downturn. Is it a risk for a foreigner to chance their arm if the work isn't even there for a local?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

BarryCreed wrote: »
    eat porridge! cheap and good for you! what's the general consensus in Oz about the downturn. Is it a risk for a foreigner to chance their arm if the work isn't even there for a local?

Hey you could be out of work in Oz or out of work in Ireland.

Chances are the downturn will hit Oz, but a down turn is a downturn the whole planet does not get laid off over night.

Times get tight, we make wiser decisions on finance and restrict spending. Unless I am the only bloke who remembers looking for a Job in 1992.

Jobs once where very hard to find in Ireland in anything , spar , bars cleaning etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Watna I'm pretty sure NZ has been in recession for a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We can't get enough staff. There's positions going and no one to fill them, hence my workload is pretty damn big.

Anyone wanna be a journalist?

yes

• Advertisement

ok NZ has just recently gone into recession sorry
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7542815.stm

Yes Xavi, I'd love to be a journalist. Actually I have a mate in Ireland who is a journalist, and I know he's thinking of making a move. How might he apply from d'auld sod....??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Will he be emigrating or just comin on a visa?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Will he be emigrating or just comin on a visa?

He'd be gone over the age for the WHV, he's 32, he'd be thinking of doing it lock stock and barrel. Currently getting his experience in a regional newspaper and edited it once or twice. He mentioned to me he was thinking of sending CVs down under, but I don't imagine it's as simple as that..

I on the other hand have a WHV but limited experience. I did get a letter published in the Guardian once though!

I was published in the Fiver once!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I was published in the Fiver once!

So was I, back in the glory days. I've been trying since, but to no avail...

Advertisement