Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Val Thorens

Options
  • 17-09-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

right!!! the flight booked this morning for my third trip of 2008!! heading out 12th dec to val thorens, nice and cheap with ryanair, accom is free, and im on an uber budget, so, tips for how to get the most out of this resort? a few years boarding beneath me now, need to keep pushing to get up to tricks etc. had a few days coaching from lesley McKenna in march, looking forward to continuing the good work.

never been to val thorens, whats it like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mwarrior

V.T. is great! :-)
    I loved it! When we were there (in high season) the snow was fantastic, lift queues not very bad, and just the variety of slopes to choose from it brilliant:-) No matter what level you are at, there is something to cater for you + the scenery is amazing!!!!

Having said all that - I thought the nightlife was pretty rubbish! There are some really nice restaurants there but the apres ski is pretty non-existant. Everyone just seems to go back to their accommodation straight from the slopes and some of the place only comes to life late on with some young Dutch people who are heading off to the clubs! The bars really don't get in on the act much (except for one are two which were full of very young people - later 20 + 30 somethings don't seem to be catered for at all!!!)

But it's worth every bit of that for the location. Brill to be out on the snow so easily in the morn. As long as you're able to make you're own fun, you'll have a ball:-)
    Enjoy:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mwarrior wrote: »
    V.T. is great! :-)
    I loved it! When we were there (in high season) the snow was fantastic, lift queues not very bad, and just the variety of slopes to choose from it brilliant:-) No matter what level you are at, there is something to cater for you + the scenery is amazing!!!!

Having said all that - I thought the nightlife was pretty rubbish! There are some really nice restaurants there but the apres ski is pretty non-existant. Everyone just seems to go back to their accommodation straight from the slopes and some of the place only comes to life late on with some young Dutch people who are heading off to the clubs! The bars really don't get in on the act much (except for one are two which were full of very young people - later 20 + 30 somethings don't seem to be catered for at all!!!)

But it's worth every bit of that for the location. Brill to be out on the snow so easily in the morn. As long as you're able to make you're own fun, you'll have a ball:-)
    Enjoy:-)
    many thanks! if the queues arent bad in high season, i should be LAUGHIN the week im going! not majorly fussed about the nightlife, im actually going with my dad and his mate and his sons, so quieter is fine, its all about getting on the slopes for me. we'll find somewhere cosy at night to outdrink each other. driving up from spain so will stop on border to stock up on cheap booze. one big night out is fine with me! any particular runs u recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mwarrior

It really depends on the weather. I found some runs were great one day but the next day they weren't good. I think its either one side of the valley or the other and the way the wind is blowing/sun is shining/snow is falling kinda thing! Not sure if you have a 3 valleys pass or just the local one? Either way, you'll have plenty of variety! For me, in the local area, I liked the Cime de Caron (i think thats what it was called - the highest one anyway) - views were fab from there. Also, liked the area up at the Col red run. Actually now that i think of it - they were all over the same side of the valley! But I found they were always quieter as it took longer to get to the very top of them:-)
    If you have a 3 valleys pass, there are some lovely tree-lined runs you can do!
    Oh I'm jealous now:(

mwarrior wrote: »
    It really depends on the weather. I found some runs were great one day but the next day they weren't good. I think its either one side of the valley or the other and the way the wind is blowing/sun is shining/snow is falling kinda thing! Not sure if you have a 3 valleys pass or just the local one? Either way, you'll have plenty of variety! For me, in the local area, I liked the Cime de Caron (i think thats what it was called - the highest one anyway) - views were fab from there. Also, liked the area up at the Col red run. Actually now that i think of it - they were all over the same side of the valley! But I found they were always quieter as it took longer to get to the very top of them:-)
    If you have a 3 valleys pass, there are some lovely tree-lined runs you can do!
    Oh I'm jealous now:(
    for a weeks boarding with a very competant skier would u recommend the 3 valley pass or is there enough in the local pass? looking at prices online :s

tree lined is always fun!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you've been skiing/ boarding before then go for the full three valleys pass I think. Although from Val Thorens it will be a long treck to get over to Corcheval and back again it is certainly possible. I stayed in Mottaret previously which was perfect for getting around the 3valleys as it's right in the middle but we didn't actually make it to Val Thorens on our trip as we ended up getting the wrong lif up one side and were further down the valley in Les Menuries and then couldn't be bothered going back up that way.

• Advertisement

cool, many thanks. guess im saving for 3 valley pass then, boarding about 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

You are going on the 12th December, so it is quite possible that not all lifts will be open that early in the season. Very possible that 3 Valleys link will not be open. Many resorts don't open fully until Xmas week, even if there is plenty of snow. There is a good chance that snow cover could be limited at that time in the Meribel and Courchavel Valleys, but Val T should be fine as it is much higher. So maybe wait and see what the snow cover is like closer to the time before ordering ski pass.
    However, there is more than enough skiing in the Val Thorens area, even for good skiiers/boarders, for one week. Cime de Caron is where the best skiing is for sure, especially off the back if you like the steep and deep, and if the lifts over the Orelle side (4th Valley) are open then try and drop into the big valley off to the left when you get off chair lift at Sommet des 3 Vallees. Magic powder bowl. It used to be a marked run but last few times I've been there it's been unmarked.

I've only stayed in Val Thorens once (usually stay in Meribel) and I remember the restaurants being pretty good. There was an Irish Bar at the bottom of the town which was fun, and a late bar/nite club higher up the town which had a boat in the middle of it if memory serves, that was great fun. Flaming sambucas at the bar, where they actually light up the whole bar by pouring spirit into a groove around teh edge of the bar. Lots of fun. Enjoy.

many thanks! found out that a good lot of the UK uni Socs are going there that week, and went that time last year to good snow conditions. so town should be busy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

zuroph wrote: »
    many thanks! found out that a good lot of the UK uni Socs are going there that week, and went that time last year to good snow conditions. so town should be busy. :)

It'll be busy alright, that week is Boarderweek where a massive pack of students from all over Europe hit Val T because of the extremely good deals and DJ's & bands playing everynight.

http://www.boarderweek.com/de/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rayfitz

right!!! the flight booked this morning for my third trip of 2008!! heading out 12th dec to val thorens, nice and cheap with ryanair, accom is free, and im on an uber budget, so, tips for how to get the most out of this resort? a few years boarding beneath me now, need to keep pushing to get up to tricks etc. had a few days coaching from lesley McKenna in march, looking forward to continuing the good work.

never been to val thorens, whats it like?

Hey, I was looking at booking VT for myslef and a few people around the end of Jan, what airport to you fly to & how to you get to the resort form there? Also any useful sites for booking accom?

Help much appreciated!

• Advertisement

rayfitz wrote: »
    Hey, I was looking at booking VT for myslef and a few people around the end of Jan, what airport to you fly to & how to you get to the resort form there? Also any useful sites for booking accom?

Help much appreciated!
    hey ray, TBH im not much help to u for advice, we're flying to girona and drving up from there, we've a house to stop in en-route overnight, and from there then its approx another 4 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

rayfitz wrote: »

Help much appreciated!

Geneva would be the main airport. You can drive to resort from there in under 3 hours. There are also lots of shuttel services by coach, or if you are a big group book a private transfer. Just do a search on google or check the Geneva Airport Website. I don't think the train is an option.

The other option is Grenoble, Ryanair fly there. Again, you can drive in about 2 hours, good road all the way to Moutiers. AGain try the airport website for transfer services.

Chambery is the closest airport but I don't think there are any scheduled services from Ireland, maybe some charter ones.

For accomodation just log onto the resort website http://www.valthorens.com/

bump, heading over friday week, anyone else in Ireland going for boarder week?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

bump, heading over friday week, anyone else in Ireland going for boarder week?

Hey man send me on the details of your trip if you want I'm feeling flahoolach!

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Hey man send me on the details of your trip if you want I'm feeling flahoolach!

http://www.boarderweek.com/de/

some good deals on there. As i said above, we're going a roundabout route, flying to girona and driving up. cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

anyone got any suggestions re accommodation in VT?

thinking along the lines of a chalet but not stuck on the idea
    round 6 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

going there on 5/12/09. flying into geneva with air lingus. check this out
    http://livecam.valthorens.com/index.php?langue=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

where are you staying - any recommendations for a group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

organising it throughh wastelandski.com have a look on their website. its cheap as chips.

Advertisement