Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centra on station road - dangerous

Options
  • 17-09-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anybday else think that the parking provided at the centra on the crossroads on Station Road makes the crossroads a death trap? I continually notice that if you are coming up from Canal Road and want to go straight across to the road with Lidl on it you are lierally taking you life in your hands. It is especially bad at night when car pull up and leave their lights on and blind you when your trying to get across. Has anyone else found that crossroads dangerous?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Especially when walking...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Centra ads to the mayhem on that junction. It's pretty bad juring the day as the shop is very busy. What adds to the danger is the people that park on the corner of McMahons old building and the road to Lidl. It makes viewing up the station road very dangerous.

The latest thing i've seen, is people parking right outside Centras door. Not in any of the designated parking spaces but actually on the bend. Ah sure i'm only going in for a minute. It'll be grand. I even seen a Polo parked up on the footpath there 2 weeks ago with a for sale sign on it. Total madness

Bout time the Gardai started giving tickets around this area before someone is killed. Not wait until a serious accident happens and then giving tickets and getting the council to paint a few double yellow lines on the road.

RANT OVER!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No,never. It's a fairly big junction and easily negotiable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

kmart6 wrote: »
    No,never. It's a fairly big junction and easily negotiable!

Of course you'd say that. :rolleyes:

Supposedly there was a roundabout planned for that junction but it never materilaised. Someone in planning or the council must be of the same opinion. I don't see how it would fit in with the present parking at Centra. Their probably waiting for a serious accident before they continue with their plans. Thier was a serious accident at the entrance to the station in the last year. Thats when they painted the double yellow lines.

A roundabout would definietly help traffic flow would be of great benefit to pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

kikel wrote: »
    The latest thing i've seen, is people parking right outside Centras door. Not in any of the designated parking spaces but actually on the bend. Ah sure i'm only going in for a minute. It'll be grand. I even seen a Polo parked up on the footpath there 2 weeks ago with a for sale sign on it. Total madness

I noticed that too, couldn't see a thing coming with that parked there! Seems you can just plant a car anywhere in the town these days and stick a for sale sign on it there are loads of them everywhere

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its unbelievably dangerous. i often use this route dropping the little lad to football, and if a car of any size at all is parked on the station road side of centra, it becomes impossible to see.

There has been a roundabout proposed for this location for the last few years. ive no idea why it hasnt started yet as other, less important works have started since, namely the stone wall and path along marian hill and bishopswood road.

perhaps a concerted effort by persons here to our local elected officials will move this quicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

its terrible. either side of that crossroads either coming from lidl or coming from the centra side. cars parked there block the view and on numerous occasions ive had to floor it when ive pulled out as i havent seen a car coming and then theres one right up my bum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

yeah the whole set up there is insane. if you come up from canal road facing the road with lidl you will notice that the line to stop on the road is not parallell with where the cars at centra park to you have to edge out almost a whole car length to try see past the cars parked at centra.

and has anyone experienced this. your going up staion road from the train station side and you go to take a left at the centra and just as you go around the corner a car pulls out in front of you from the other car parking spaces. how they got away with it i'l never know, but of course like everything money talks when it comes to the council.

across the road from centra where the new apartments are, my friend used to live in the house that was on that corner before the apartments were built. they were refused planning permission for a little shop on that corner and now look at the place.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stevoman wrote: »
    yeah the whole set up there is insane. if you come up from canal road facing the road with lidl you will notice that the line to stop on the road is not parallell with where the cars at centra park to you have to edge out almost a whole car length to try see past the cars parked at centra.

and has anyone experienced this. your going up staion road from the train station side and you go to take a left at the centra and just as you go around the corner a car pulls out in front of you from the other car parking spaces. how they got away with it i'l never know, but of course like everything money talks when it comes to the council.

across the road from centra where the new apartments are, my friend used to live in the house that was on that corner before the apartments were built. they were refused planning permission for a little shop on that corner and now look at the place.

i know of one person who has already been hit whilst pulling out of that area....

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    Of course you'd say that. :rolleyes:
    Oh I know...imagine the cheek of giving my opinion on something!:rolleyes:

A couple of articles in the leinster about roundabouts and traffic calming solutions for station road. here is a link to the less detailed article.

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/Traffic-calming-for-Station-Road.4518339.jp

The other artile states that the roundabouts on station road are at a detailed design stage and work is to be completed 2009/2010. As with everything with the council we'll have to wait and see when they materialise.

Anyway, the council must also be of the opinion that these are dangerous junctions and something needs to be done.

Lots of other traffic calming and improvements coming to portarlington. We may even get a few speed bumps to. I hate those fecking things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg79_mM2CNY

Pedestrian lights going up at the moment at the People's Park!

Advertisement