Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse (Mice) in the house

Options
  • 17-09-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Moved into a house on the first of this month. The day we signed the lease and move in we saw a mouse in the kitchen. We informed the estate agent. 5 days ago I rang the estate agent again because there is a lot more than one mouse and they have been seen in every room in the house. As of yet nothing has been done.

What are my rights? Am I entitled to rent off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Frist of all - get rid of the mice!!! Get in the vermin control and sort it out - your health is your wealth. Keep all receipts. write letters to the estate agent - recorded delivery etc... so that you can claim the monies back. Don't wait - sort it out and then worry about it afterwards. They breed very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

I caught 16 when I moved into my house first! The house was vacant for a few years though....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seandugg

looks like they're breeding pretty quickly alright. caught a few baby mice today. Woke up this morning, one was in the kitchen sink and couldnt get out. Estate agent is going to sort it immediately she said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 y

buy a plug in noise emitter. they cost about 30quid and work great. I had the same problem. Plugged it in. Next day no mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We had wondered if our landlord would mind that we had two cats.... when a mouse ran across the bed on the first day, cat acted fast. The landlord was so embarrassed there had been mice and thus the cats are welcome now. And they deter the mice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Sound like great fun chasing little furry things around house all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I'd get the humane traps and the high pitch plug in noise thing. Release them in a field or give them to someone with a snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good heavens, I'd be setting traps, buying those noise emmiters yesterday!
    Mice running around the gaff is just gross, no way would i wait for someone else to act.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sound like great fun chasing little furry things around house all day.

For the cat? :D

Seriously though- you need to sort this out immediately.
    I've had great success with the sonic deterent thingy- there are different versions of them, some which emit sound waves into the room- others which use electrical wires to propogate the sound throughout the house via your electrics (note: do not use this if you have pet hamsters, reptiles or fish).

S.

I'd get the humane traps and the high pitch plug in noise thing. Release them in a field or give them to someone with a snake.

We tried this once in Scotland. Gently evicted the mouse.
    A day later, he was back, with his whole extended family.

Wherever we looked there were mice; even dancing in the frying pan in the cooker.

Nerves were a wreck.

We used poison, traps and kept a tally of how many we disposed of.

Cats are easier:)

We did rescue that first one in Ireland from the jaws of death, when we realised the cat wanted to play with it.

Took it outside, wet and bewildered, and told it to tell all its friends to stay away.
    Which it did...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sorella wrote: »
    Took it outside, wet and bewildered, and told it to tell all its friends to stay away.
    Which it did...

Clever mouse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Some houses are worse for mice than others. We had a house in Ballincollig and we never got rid of the mice completely....

We had two of those ultrasonic things and were catching a mouse once a week on average (one day we got 4 mice, 3 in the same trap).

Maybe we just had deaf mice

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seandugg

Ok so 1 month in. We have caught 9 mice, there is still more in the kitchen. All the estate agent has done is put down 2 traps in one of the bedrooms. We are going to refuse to pay the months rent due on the 1st and see what happens from there

seandugg wrote: »
    Ok so 1 month in. We have caught 9 mice, there is still more in the kitchen. All the estate agent has done is put down 2 traps in one of the bedrooms. We are going to refuse to pay the months rent due on the 1st and see what happens from there

Can you find where they are coming in? Under the sink? Ventilation holes? We had rats once in another house that came in along the water pipe vents. Find the holes and block them. Or put traps right by them. Most mice do not live in the house but come in at night to find food. Always by the same route.

The house here had only been empty three months. We think they came down the chiimney.

It is unnerving isn't it?

Advertisement