Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing your gear???

Options
  • 16-09-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Considering the 'summers' we have been having over the past two years, my so-called waterproof Cordura gear is more like a sieve :eek: than anything else.
    What, if anything, do you all use to re-waterproof/re-vitalise your riding gear? :confused:
    I don't particularly want to go and shell out on more gear, as there is nothing wrong (except for the leaking) with the gear I have.
    Anyone got any tips?
    Where it can be got?
    BTW, I was told about Thompson's Waterproofing, but all that did was hold the leaking back for an extra 20 minutes :( .........then it leaked as if it wasn't there.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All you can try is spray on or wash in waterproofing. Storm is another brand you could try, they do a few different sprays and solutions. Sometimes it does work, depending on how bad the clothing was leaking in the first place. But basically if your stuff is a few years old the waterproofing/membranes may just be beyond salvation. And with the torrential rain weve been getting very little clothing, even the expensive stuff, is what you would call 'totally' waterproof anyway.

Some guys buy cheap nylon oversuits or pullups to go over their existing bike gear, that would be a more inexpensive option than changing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

If ur going for rain gear over ur bike jacket/trousers pennys do some cheap ass waterproof stuff, I got that instead of new jacket..etc. Cost bout 20 bob

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nikwax do products to waterproof outdoor gear, works well on textile bike jackets etc. There is one to wash and one to re-proof, you just put them into the washing machine. You can get this in the Great Outdoors or any decent camping shop. Do NOT use ordinary detergents on goretex, sympatex, etc. breathable clothing as it ruins the membrane.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paulieeye wrote: »
    If ur going for rain gear over ur bike jacket/trousers pennys do some cheap ass waterproof stuff, I got that instead of new jacket..etc. Cost bout 20 bob

That's what I do, cheap nylon waterproofs over my leather trousers, 10 euro in a camping shop and they last 2 - 3 years. I used to put waterproofs over a leather jacket too, but this is too fiddly really, a good textile jacket is well worth it. I've hardly had the chance to wear my leather jacket this "summer" :( Try Cotters for good cheap gear.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Scotchguard is what I use. Needs a good few layers (spray, dry, spray, dry etc). Lasts a few months.

If you spray the inside of the gear (with the inner lining removed), it lasts even longer. I spent 6 hours in fairly persistant heavy rain once and not a drop got through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ashleygirl

Hi Crazyrabbit,

Where can I get Scotchguard in Dublin?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Any camping store/millets will do wax sprays.

if you are really cheap and your gear only leaks in certain areas, you could just put blobs of vaseline on. (altho it looks like you snotted on your jacket!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ashleygirl

Thanks faceman,

Millets have a Peter Storm spray but I was looking for the scotchguard spray, to protect from stains also, any ideas where I can get it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do what ninja900 said, I just washed all my gear and then waterproofed it. Even the gloves! I have a gortex jacket, decent Dainese gloves and cheap enough lookwell waterproof cordura pullups. It was all fairly dirty and smelly, but after the wash it was like new. Used it in heavy rain since and it's perfect. Gloves took ages to dry though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Do what ninja900 said, I just washed all my gear and then waterproofed it. Even the gloves! I have a gortex jacket, decent Dainese gloves and cheap enough lookwell waterproof cordura pullups. It was all fairly dirty and smelly, but after the wash it was like new. Used it in heavy rain since and it's perfect. Gloves took ages to dry though

did YOU waterproof your boots too??
    ps.. where did you get the nikwax?

:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

ninja900 wrote: »
    Nikwax do products to waterproof outdoor gear, works well on textile bike jackets etc. There is one to wash and one to re-proof, you just put them into the washing machine. You can get this in the Great Outdoors or any decent camping shop. Do NOT use ordinary detergents on goretex, sympatex, etc. breathable clothing as it ruins the membrane.

Nikwax is great stuff, run the washing machine first with nothing in it to clean out any detergents. pre-treat the gear twice makes the finish last longer as well. Buy it in great out doors or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I tried the nik wax lately too, got it from some lad on ebay although probably ended up paying twice the price what with delivery from the uk thrown in. Previous to using my jacket and trousers had been letting water in, was out in heavy rain there the other day and not a drop got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Saw Graingers wax formula in millets the opther day,any good for motorbike slacks?

Can't wait for this stuff to reach the market....it actively repels all liquids, meaning your clothes stay completely dry (and clean).

Can you imagine this? You walk in after 2 hours in the rain and you are completely dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    Nikwax is great stuff, run the washing machine first with nothing in it to clean out any detergents. pre-treat the gear twice makes the finish last longer as well. Buy it in great out doors or similar.
    +1

A litre of this and a litre of this, throw in this for the boots and gloves and Amazon will ship the lot to ya for not much more than the price of two 300ml bottles from the Great Outdoors or Halfords. It'll last you a couple of years, or you could split it with a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Can't wait for this stuff to reach the market....it actively repels all liquids, meaning your clothes stay completely dry (and clean).

Can you imagine this? You walk in after 2 hours in the rain and you are completely dry!

Yeah and covered in sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I wonder what happens when you sit your superhydrophobic ass onto a wet saddle. Do you just slide off it onto the ground? :D

Yeah and covered in sweat

Considering that we are talking about nanotech, there's no reason why the fabric wouldn't be breathable and waterproof. Large heavy water molecules would be repelled, but smaller air molecules would pass through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yup, I agree with the above. The stuff should be breathable. It's not some sort of glue or wax based stuff.

But I'd wonder what would happen if you covered yourself in it and jumped into the water. Would you turn into a torpedo?

Advertisement