Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary school teaching through arts (religion and history)

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

ive just finished my orientation day at UCC for arts. my 4 subjects are english, history, philosophy and politics. i am interested in either journalism or teaching after college and after speaking to some people ive decided to drop english and do religion and global studies instead.

i was originally doing english in order to have a good foundation for journalism but yesterday i found out that it is possible to do a masters or h.dip in journalsim without studying english.

as far as secondary school positions in this country go are there even job opportunities available for people teaching religion and history?

would i just be better to stick with english so i can have history and english as my core subjects next year and take on those 2 to teach at secondary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If you want a job, do English. Surely it's the most obvious choice for teaching and journalism. Neither History or Religion are compulsory exam subjects, so the demand wouldn't be near as high as it is for a core subject like English.

Advertisement