Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house waiting list?

Options
  • 16-09-2008 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Do any of yis have an idea of how long a single person would wait for a council house in Fingal?

A single person. She has no kids, its just herself.

Basically she (my cousin) is on disability allowance and is having no luck finding anywhere to rent. She can get rent allowance of course but even then she has had no luck finding anywhere for the past 3 years.

I've been helping her look constantly for the last 3 years and it was either that they wouldn't accept RA or the place was a dog box. Literally the plce would be the size of a boxroom and if she was lucky she would have her own bedroom.

She cant live in a place like that because it would be really hard on her health which is bad anyway. She is most days too ill to leave the house, now you could imagine basically living your whole day every day in one tiny dingy room. She needs a proper place with more than one room so for the days when she is too sick to leave the house at least she can move from room to room. Also its her illness is not a temporary thing, she would be facing living in a place like that for the rest of her life, the places you can afford on RA (they have to be €520) are not suitable for living in for the rest of your life.

She never put herself on the housing list because neither of us know of any single people who get offered houses so she didn't think it woudl make a difference.

We have tried so many charities that help people with long term illness and I'm constantly in touch with various places (Hale housing, Threshold etc) but unfortunetly there's always someone who doesn't quite qualify and falls through the gaps. They've even admitted to us that they cant help most people who need help and she seems to fall through every gap there is.

It seems like unless she has kids she cant get any help at all. Which is ridiculous really because she cant have children, she would be completely unable to care for a child and would never have a child she couldn' t care for.

At the moment she is living at home with her parents (not a good situation) and every now and then she will stay with me for awhile but then she has to go back home.

She is going to put her name down on the list in Fingal.

Do you have any idea how long a single person with no kids waits on the list?

Do Fingal even have anything for single people?

She really is desperate (she really is suicidal desperate not that that will move her up the list quicker).

It really winds me up when I go around Blanch (where she is) and see council houses boarded up etc because she would take anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

probably forever,i know single women with children who have been waiting for 8 years and more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

greatgoal wrote: »
    probably forever,i know single women with children who have been waiting for 8 years and more.

I am also single on the blanch housing list some two years

The fastest probable time would be for me five years best case in my dreams
    I am late 40,s and don't expect to get a place before I die unless i become disabled which might speed it up buy a few years

I would recomend to be on the housing list its a bit like the lotto not in you cant win

It can still be worth to rent a place even she doesn't live in it as when you cost the HB the rent allowance they got a serious incentive to get you off the rent list

Rent the most dog boxxy place possible totaly unsuitable on the top floor preferably with no stairs going up to the room and then that shoves the case further up the system
    Say she is forced to live on the streets cant access the apertment whatever

name of the game is ramp up the story big time as that is the only way to speed things up

Seems to be in ROI if you don't make a extreme example and get lots of press media you can wait forever

Forget the threshold they were close to useless
    Just a place to talk stuff how bad stuff is but clueless

Do it right and maybey less than one year

I know that because I rent a room in a house with other peole in a half decent house that my file goes directly to the forget about him he is sorted file

could have been worse I nearly did a sub prime loan for a grotty paper thin walls apartment

I might have to change to suitable dog box to jump start the application

All my friends who eventualy got a corpo or counsill place says being in dog boxx rentred accomadation speeded up the aplication in that time
    problem is they brought in new rules so not sure the dox box trick works so good these days

Blanch has 4000 on the list last year
    probably 8000 now

The single girls with a few babies will they say jump the queue
    Simple maths they make mostly houses for families in counsil schemes and not so may single housing solutions

Some claim in Blanch that the chamapine flows on the third baby( rumouirs are even ten kids wont swing it )
    me I dont know who get the places it seems to be a lotto thing

The rumours floating around are the builders cant sell flats

So as part of the save the fat cat builders the government might rent the flats all over dublin cork limerick etc as tempary stop gap to get more HB cases out of distress

Problem with that is if things pick up the rented flats might then eject the hapless peoples and knowing the corpo they wont have made any new counsil places

Some charites with places what a friend of mine lives in need the aplicant to be on the housing waiting list to get those places

Didn't threshold tell you anything

make sure to have a Social worker and write a letter every day to to the social workers saying where is the housing solution

Write a letter every day to the counsil waiting list
    then if possible go very often like 3 times a week to the housing alocation hatch and bug them saying where is the housing solution

it amazing bombing the civil service with letters freaks them

its incontriversable evedence

Talking to them through grills is not evedence but can add to pressure

talking to them on the phone is not evidence

emails are to easy to erase

when dealing with the regime through social workers corpo counsil whatever get everything possible in writing

Then use all the letters (evidence )whatever to put pressure on local polititions

If you can get a strong case going and the cousil is seen to be negligent with all suitable evidence then there exists a possibilty for (dossier rouges ) (red dossier) to land on hapless civil sevants desks and no civuil service type ever ever wants to see a dosier rouges ans often it is a negitive browni point on the the way to get premotions

Local polititions know where the buttons are and need votes to stay on the gravy train

Typical stuff the could care less regime that can spend thousands on gold plated toilets in the Dail who will only do what absolutly have too to get the votes

register the case info with the poverty action beureau while they still exist

Now the latest is the government is scraping the poverty action beureau who were the only ones who could high light poverty
    The idea the regime has is no statistics on poverty therefore no poverty exists
    Typical fachist regime logic

Realy you need to contact lots of the charities in Blanch and idealy make it a voting issue for a counciler to get into power
    With enough local action on your side and with the facts as you state then you would be amazed how the system can made to work for your cousin especialy once there is votes in it

If I ever get disabilty that will be my solution

So keep us posted hope your cousin get what she obviously needs ASAP

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

We are a family and we waited 6 years for a house. I'd say at the present rate with no one being able to afford a home it will increase the waiting list. She'd be looking at least a 10 year wait id say.:(

Advertisement