Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working: New Zealand vs. Australia

Options
  • 15-09-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Our original idea had been to work for a month or two (or three) in Australia in Sydney or Melbourne, but then we were thinking that we can only get a working Visa for Oz once ever and do we really want to waste this on a month or two or hold on to it in case we want to come back to Oz for a year to work another time???

So instead we were thinking of working in New Zealand. We'll be arriving in NZ at the end of July, which is the start of the ski season and was thinking there might be lots of work in ski lodges or bars and stuff at that time of the year. It's gonna be so cold at that time of year that maybe we'd be best to work through it and get some money!

Any advice from people who've worked in either NZ or Australia (especially NZ!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I spent a year in NZ recently and the money is pretty bad there in general. I mean they pay like $12 and $13 bucks an hour for bar work etc. I managed to get $30 an hour in wellington but that was doing IT nerdy stuff. When I moved to Mount Maunganui all the jobs were paying around $13 bucks. But you can live on it, it's just hard to save. If you find a nice place to live though and are having a good time, it's worth it, just dont expect to save any money, and prepare to drink a lot of boxed wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    and prepare to drink a lot of boxed wine.

Universally good advice.

they only do 3ltr ones in NZ though, not like the 5ltr megatrons over here

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

I spent a season in Queenstown and believe me, there are thousads of people who have had the same idea as you, there is a lot of competition for jobs. If you are guys I would reccommend tradestaff or sitestaff for construction work. They pay $15 an hour and if you stay for a few weeks it can go up to 16-17. You can try the bars or restaurants but like I said, it may be tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    they only do 3ltr ones in NZ though, not like the 5ltr megatrons over here

The cheap wine over here is of ridiculously good quality. For the price you pay.

• Advertisement

sometimes I buy the 2ltr boxed wines, they're about $15, but really good quality, can't remember the name of the brand...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's called 'Goon' locally.

From Wiki -
    Cheap cask wine is also known as "goon" in Australia and also New Zealand ("goon" is diminutive slang for flagon, the large bottles used before casks), and the bag alone known as a "goon sack", "goony bag" or "goon bag". The practice, usually by students, of consuming cask wine at parties is known as "gooning".

12768685.Oct13388tuckerandthegoonbag.JPG

The empty bag makes a great pillow too -

goonbag.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why not work in both? I'd start off working in NZ though, as the shock from the lesser pay might stint your trip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

WindSock wrote: »
    Why not work in both? I'd start off working in NZ though, as the shock from the lesser pay might stint your trip ;)

Well if you can only ever get a Visa once to work in these places, I really don't know if it's worth using this one opportunity to work for like (realistically) a month or two in either country???

From what you say, it won't be worth the money in New Zealand, but would it be worth using our only chance of a Visa in Australia (and not have that option of coming back to work for a year) for the sake of the few bob we'll make in a month or three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

:confused: Not sure if I follow you there, sorry.

Do you have a time limit on how long you can stay away? If you don't then you can always just get a WHV for both countries. I think most people (that I met anyway) start off in Oz on a whv, then pop over to NZ for a few weeks travel and then decide they would like to stay in NZ longer.

If you are unsure yet, you could always visit both countries on a short 3 month holiday visa first and have a look around. Then if you decide on which country to stay to work in then apply for the Whv. You can only apply for the Whv outside the country though, afaik.

• Advertisement

From what I understand, you can only ever get one working Visa in your lifetime for both Australia and / or New Zealand.

If I use it up now, I can't get a working visa again and would have to rely on chancing a sponsorship etc. if I ever wanted to go back working in Oz / NZ again. I'd like to have the option to go back on a working visa again.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it using up this one chance of a working Visa for the sake of working for a month or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

If you are lucky enough to be able to apply and get another passport from another country say the UK for example you can apply for another WHV for Oz on that passport.

hertz wrote: »
    If you are lucky enough to be able to apply and get another passport from another country say the UK for example you can apply for another WHV for Oz on that passport.

Alas, unfortunately I'm not that lucky!!!

Hmmm, I don't know. The reason we had planned to work was because I honestly don't think we'll have enough money for the year. We're doing a RTW trip for 12 months in Central America, South America, NZ and Oz and SE Asia. Planning a spending budget of €15,000 each (excl. flights) to live, drive, eat, drink (boxes of wine!) and hostel it up!

I still don't think that'll be enough for the full year when you take into account the cost of some of the inevitable trips (like the skydive or a trip to the Galapogas etc.)...

Advertisement