Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 24mb Broadband Discussion.

Options
  • 15-09-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi , Thinking about switching to the 24mb package from my Eircom 3mb package. Few questions though.

I'm living in Douglas , Co.Cork and i know im not actualy going to get the full speed of 24mb/s , I'd be hoping for around 20mb/s. Since on my eircom package i get about 315kilobytes per second where the top speed would be 370kb/s

Is BT using ADSL or ADSL2+ for the 24mb connection , I didnt think DSL would support 24mb/s.

Any idea if eircom is going to hit back against this?

Thanks

- Alan

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Numerous threads on this....
    But anyways..

BT 24mb uses adsl2+

Post up your line stats all you will get a better picture of what your line is capable of.

I cant see Eircom hitting back against this as they reserve the adsl2+ for their business customers.

You will never get full download speeds over dsl. You will get about 85% of your max download speed due to dsl overheads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If your line was even capable of getting the max 24mb (very unlikely) you would actually only get 20mb after all the IP overheads.

As jmccrohan said, post your line stats and we can tell you roughly what it is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithalan2

How would i get my line stats , The only thing i can think of now is this bit from the router page in eircom.

Line Attenuation
    25/11 dB

Also , Anything heard about Magnets 24mb package? http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/24.htm

Thanks

- Alan

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It depends upon your router, you need your downstream Line Attenuation and SNR (Signal To Noise Ratio). You can enter the values in the following calculators to get a rough idea:

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx
    http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-theoretical-speed-calculator

Okay according to the calculator i can get roughly 18mb/s

Just to be sure could someone verify that? Here are the stats from my router.

bb293.jpg

Thanks

- Alan

P.S I would be using BT's ADSL2+ router whatever model that is.

• Advertisement

smithalan2 wrote: »
    Okay according to the calculator i can get roughly 18mb/s

It would be accurate if you gave us the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) also, but it looks like it could handle between15.5mb/s to 18mb/s.

REmember to take another 15% off that for overheads.

How do i get my SNR?

- Edit

Found this in the advanced settings.

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 15.00

I've been reading anything below 10 is crap , anthing above 20 is good so i guess i'm a bit screwed yes?

You'd still be good for about 16 to 18mb/s, before overhead of course.

Given that it is about the same cost as Eircoms 3mb product, it would still be well worth getting IMO.

Also don't forget that it will give you a significantly better upload speed and would likely be more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

If you are having any problems with disconnections and other problems when getting the 24Mbs I would suggest you look to the router. I've replaced the Voyager with a standard Belkin and my line is now solid at 14Mbs. I will be asking BT to up my profile if it stays on track and I expect to be able to get the better speeds I got when first upgraded. Maybe not the full 24Mbs but faster than my current 14Mbs. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Ah! 16-18mbs would be great! Thanks for the advice!

How long would it take from the moment i order it to recieve the router and be connected? , I heavly rely on the internet , not just for personal use but for business use.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

you can ignore the SNR that will change as soon as your on adsl2

as a comparason i sync at 21 - 22mb, jumps a bit, and have
    Line Attenuation 20/9 dB

it took a week for me to get put on 8mb and a few days after that got 24mb, so dont freak out if you see 8

your internet should only be down for about 30 mins while been changed over and would definatly be back by 4/5pm on the day is done. they like to go home on time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the upload rate is offered here?
    Do all adsl2+ only support 1Mbps?

Baneblade wrote: »
    you can ignore the SNR that will change as soon as your on adsl2

as a comparason i sync at 21 - 22mb, jumps a bit, and have
    Line Attenuation 20/9 dB

it took a week for me to get put on 8mb and a few days after that got 24mb, so dont freak out if you see 8

your internet should only be down for about 30 mins while been changed over and would definatly be back by 4/5pm on the day is done. they like to go home on time :rolleyes:

Ah okay thanks!
    I was wondering if someone could tell me what the upload rate is offered here?
    Do all adsl2+ only support 1Mbps?

I think so , but 1mbps upload is great , thats 128kb/s which is plenty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 drbeatz

hi,

i have Line Attenuation 13/5 dB what could i expect?

Cheers

Advertisement