Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to work for nothing?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Apparently we need three years experience for even the lowliest teaching employment. Three years working without being paid will be bad enough, but is it legal to work for nothing? We have a minimum wage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No one is saying you work for nothing, theres plenty of subbing stuff around Cork, just not full time teaching jobs.

I would so love to round up all people doing the Dip etc and explain this to them as its totally unfair not ensuring people know the employment situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

The legal situation with working for no pay, anybody? Can any work simply be classed as "voluntary" to get around the minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm sorry, but I am having real trouble understanding the point of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i think it has more to do with insurance than actually paying you.

the company that you want to work for has to advertise for volunteers and then you could do it. i doubt you could just go up to a place and say you will work for nothing. as they have to have the necessary insurance and with teaching it's even more regulated! you have to have a back-ground check done on you before they can hire you.

a good place to start would be with organisations that deal with teaching people with learning disabilities as they do be crying out for volunteers and will have the structure in place for hiring them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 muinteoir123

what 3 years working for free? undergrads only do several weeks of teaching practice at a time as part of their studies and the same for postgrad teaching courses! full time first year out start on over 40,000 euro-when are people asked to work for nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Tom Dunne wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I am having real trouble understanding the point of this thread.
    It's to do with teaching experience and how to get it, and the legality of working below the minimum wage. Have a read of this to get up to speed-
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/pay-and-employment/pay_inc_min_wage
    Trebor wrote: »
    i think it has more to do with insurance than actually paying you.

the company that you want to work for has to advertise for volunteers and then you could do it. i doubt you could just go up to a place and say you will work for nothing. as they have to have the necessary insurance and with teaching it's even more regulated! you have to have a back-ground check done on you before they can hire you.

a good place to start would be with organisations that deal with teaching people with learning disabilities as they do be crying out for volunteers and will have the structure in place for hiring them

Thanks. Voluntary work can be found, and I've been volunteering for two years. It's a bit simple though, like the teaching of the disabled you mention. It won't go far as "experience". It could be done by anybody. The more responsible work is paid, but I've applied for that and got nowhere. So the only option left is to do it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

what 3 years working for free? undergrads only do several weeks of teaching practice at a time as part of their studies and the same for postgrad teaching courses! full time first year out start on over 40,000 euro-when are people asked to work for nothing?

i'm not entirely sure about the process but from what friends have told me getting into the course is the hard bit and that they require the people applying to have had some former experience as teaching or dealing with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 muinteoir123

teaching experience is not unpaid tho, you are paid by the dept if unqualified at lower rate than qualified.

are we talking about secondary/primary teaching? undergrad/postgrad or mature entry?

Many on primary post grads get in with no prior teaching experience. there's no need to do 3 years of work unpaid??? you can do observation in schools, paid subbing or volunteer coaching kids sports assisting with homework clubs-these would all count in your application.

Advertisement