Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for interview - broaching subject with current employer?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working in a small company for 2 years and have just applied for another job in another country. I will need to book at least a day off to attend the interview (if I get an interview) and my current employer may be asked for a reference.

How should I let him know that I've applied elsewhere? I'm not actively seeking to leave my current job (the one I've applied for just happens to be an exceptional opportunity) and I don't want to give the impression that I am looking to leave, as it may jeopardise my prospects for promotion, etc, in the event I don't get the new job. He's a sound, level headed guy, but business is business, and I think I need to approach this very carefully. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement