Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights?

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

the house next to me is rented I live on a quiet terraced street and while the house has been rented for a number of years now there hadn't been much poblems until the end of last year. It is extremly shabby she is very young and has a number of kids but since her new boyfriend moved in we are having a lot of problems they have stopped taking care of the garden and is always over grown the shrubs are now large bushes that over flow through our railings into our garden they never take out the rubbish recently leaving 8 bags in the front garden like right in the middle of the garden they have started to fight constantly throwing what sounds like furniture around and are very agressive when we complain it has gotten to the point where we'd like to move but cannot afford to I have looked everywhere but there just doesn't seem to be anything onthe legal rights of neighbours we are planning on building a wall to divide the gardens properly and I was wondering could I possibly bill the landlord as they are unwilling to deal with our complaints or care for the property they are renting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nhickey wrote: »
    It is extremly shabby
    Not something you can or should control.
    they have stopped taking care of the garden and is always over grown the shrubs are now large bushes that over flow through our railings into our garden
    Might you ask them to cut it and loan them a shears and a lawn mower?
    they never take out the rubbish recently leaving 8 bags in the front garden like right in the middle of the garden
    Council litter warden.
    they have started to fight constantly throwing what sounds like furniture around and are very agressive
    You could make a noise pollution comaplint to the council if it is serious.
    when we complain it has gotten to the point where we'd like to move but cannot afford to I have looked everywhere but there just doesn't seem to be anything onthe legal rights of neighbours
    There are lots of properties out there, have another look.
    we are planning on building a wall to divide the gardens properly and I was wondering could I possibly bill the landlord as they are unwilling to deal with our complaints or care for the property they are renting.
    You would need your landlords permission (and possibly planning permission, depending on height) to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

When they fight you can call the Guards and tell them you heard stuff break and they will treat it like a domestic diturbance,if the place is in a shambles and there a children involved you would be doing them a favour by getting the guards involved. Of coarse you then have to deal with the backlash from neighbors.

I dont envy you

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nhickey

there may be plenty of properties out there but I dont' think I should be forced into selling my house during a housing price crash and incurring all the cost plus I've worked hard on making my house my home I don't want to move. obviously I have asked them to cut the grass and I've already put a fence out my back as they never cut their hedge and it was collapsing so now it can collapse away into their own property the neighbour on the otherside has repeatedly asked them to cut the hedge because it is collapsing due to the weight she is moving.

I'm reluctant to involve the guards or the council as there is young children and as a lone parent her benefits would be stopped as her boyfriend shouldn't be living with her and in such an outcome the children would suffer the landlord should be take more action and I can't seem to find anything concerning my rights as a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Hiya, I feel for you as I am in the very same predicement.
    Firstly do you know who the landlord is?
    If not you could contact Private Residential Tenancies Board
    www.prtb.ie.
    I've not got the details I require from them (yet) but hope they will come up the goods.
    I have also been in contact with the Community Guard who when I told him where I lived he knew exactly whom I was referring to before I said any more.
    The kids are also at risk and from what I picked up Social Services are already involved....none of this my concern however as I just want them out of my neighbourhood.

All the avenues I have persued seem to lead back to the same thing...the landlord!
    If you have his details pester both him and the Guards as he is the one that is accountable for who he has living in his property.

thank you I was told about www.prtb.ie and I knwo who the landlord is so I'm gong to keep track of everythign and I can complain the landlord to them which should hopefully get her moving on sorting them out. I'm starting to worry they're abusing the children too they're very young boys and they're getting a lot of bad marks on them and just because of the violence in the fights so I'm definately going to involve the guards more. I'm just worried how they'll react but they're making our lives miserable as it is.

thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Oh and make sure you keep a diary of any disturbances (times and dates).
    Have you approached the landlord directly?
    I unfortunately don't know who the landlord is but if I did I would try and get his/her tel # and call him anytime of the day or night when you have been disturbed. Just annoy them as much as her tenants are annoying you.

I was speaking to someone who works in a TD's office yesterday and she informed me that previously landlords were not responsible for their tenants but this has now changed and they are answerable for their tenants behaviour.

If you get any further please let me know as I would be very interested.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nhickey wrote: »
    I was wondering could I possibly bill the landlord as they are unwilling to deal with our complaints or care for the property they are renting.
    Doubt (the landlord will pay for) it. In the back, the wall can be 5 to 6 foot high me thinks, and out front, I think the max height is 3 or 4 foot. Dunno for definite, though. If you own the land, and you do it on "your" side, it should be legal enough, but best to talk to a lawyer or a friendly Garda about it first, though.

will do millie I'm so relieved to hear that something can actually be done if it continues its very quiet at the moment I think they've gone on holidays its so lovely I'm dreading them coming back :(
    Oh I would only get a small wall on my side of the garden syco but I wont rush off about for a while yet

Oh I hear you, not that my crowd would ever go on holidays.
    I don't think they are even aware there is a park in town!
    However on the nights that the kids are not outside my window at 11pm & I get a good nights sleep are a blessing.

It's f*cking headwreaking and soul destroying some days!
    However it's Friday so we'll leave the bitterness until Monday again :)

Advertisement