Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling/Quitting a Masters??

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

My GF started a Masters last week in NUI Galway and is not happy with it for a few reasons - it not being practical enough with too much focus on liberal/'arty' type subjects and also a belief that she shouldnt be doing the course and should have done something radically different!

My question is how difficult is it to cancel/quit a Masters after one week?
    And if you do so, can you still apply for a different Postgrad for 2009/10 and still avail of the free fees once she qualifies for the grant?

i.e. will this Masters be forgotten about in terms of her County Council record?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheBestKm

Hi,could i possibly answer your question with a question?
    I'm just wondering does the free fees inititive also cover post-grad education?I thought it only covered your undergrad 3/4 year course?I cant find any info on this anywhere...
    In regards to your girlfriends problem,i don't see why it should be a problem to quit this early on and still recover the fees for next year.After all with an under-grad course if you quit before a certain date in october your 1st year fees should be covered the following year.

'Free fees' covers your undergrad up to Level 8 (which includes a HDip which you can do after a Bachelors). You can get your fees paid for you if you get a grant.

To answer the original question, I know for undergraduate years you have one month (give or take) and if you leave within that month you still get your fees paid for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I thought the fees are not free, your grant pays for them.

edit:as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't know how she can say what its like after a week, the first weeks lectures are all introductions! She needs to give it a chance, see what its really like. Also the biggest part of the course will probably be a thesis, which I'd consider practical work, or could be made about a topic of her choice. She should probably talk to the head of the course and discuss her concerns with him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

What's a liberal/"arty" subject? The opposite of a conservative subject??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Does the H.Dip include any higher diploma after you have completed a Batchelors? or just one that is related to teaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Far as I know the county council works that you can only go up so obviously you could not go back down to a HDIP after a MA. I quit my masters as well but I was told that because I had registered then no I didn't qualify again for the free fees. It may be on a case by case basis though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Jugs: I don't know anything about the money side of things, and there are other people here who can give you both MUCH better info on that than I could.

On the quitting thing, I can only go on my experiences, but maybe what I have to say will help.

I started my Masters in Dublin in 2006/2007. I was really excited until I started, thinking I would be doing something I really loved. Almost immediately I knew I had made a mistake. I decided to wait it out a bit and see how things went. The longer the course went on, the less happy I was, but the less able to leave I was. I stuck it out for the year, thinking that even if I hated it I'd have a masters at the end of the year and that would be valuable. I'm still paying for my course, I didn't do as well as I should have because I was so unhappy (not that I did particularly badly, I just know I have the ability to do better) and my masters is so specific that I feel like it was effectively a wasted year.

Your girlfriend has to make the best decision for her when it comes to her masters. There is no point in her wasting a year doing something she isn't happy doing simply for the sake of not quitting or to say she has the qualification, if she's not going to be committed enough to give it her all. She really has to want to do what she's doing to give it her best shot. If it's not for her (and she's the one in the best position to decide that) then she can't afford to force herself to stick it out for the year if she's not going to get the full benefit of the year.

Advertisement