Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trafficwatch Formal Complaint

Options
  • 15-09-2008 12:00pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the last couple of days commuting, I see someone driving a 97D Suzuki Cultus with kids unstrapped inside. I said feck it this morning (young kid unrestrained leaning on dashboard) and rang Trafficwatch and reported the driver.
    The lady at the other end asked if I wanted to make a formal complaint or just recommend a caution. I opted for the former.
    Got a call back a few minutes later from her asking me to call into my local garda station this evening to verify the details.

Has anyone done this and what procedure follows? Does it go to court and am I required to attend (not that I mind, I'm just curious)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

What are the chances of the gardaí actually doing anything on the matter?

Probably none.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if kbannon goes to the station and verifies his complaint then they will follow up fo sure and at least speak to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

If you bring the complaint to the Garda Station, my understanding is that you will be told that if they proscecute, you will be asked, will you go to Court. Your word against theirs!!! mind you!!!

I had a situation last Thursday on my way home from work on an R route where I was behind a VW golf, who was in turn behind a cattle truck - straight white line! This guy in a delivery lorry comes speeding up behind me. After about a minute he overtook me, tucked in behind the cattle lorry, then went to overtake the lorry, on the straight white line, came back, and tried it again about 4 times I reckon. At one stage, I thought I was on a dual carriageway, albeit, on an R route!!!!

On approaching the town, this overtaker stopped, double parked, to make his delivery. I stopped, legally parked, might I ad, approached the driver and expressed my total dismay at his driving. He was not abusive, but quite clearly did not understand me!!! He kept loading up his delivery, ignoring me! I duly told him I would be taking his reg number and would be making a complaint at the local Garda Station. I think he did not understand a word I was saying. I made the complaint by phone as the station was closed and they informed me that if they prosecute that this could go to Court.

I ask myself, is it worth all of this? Why can't the Garda (especially if they know you) just stop this guy from doing the same as he moves onto another town with his deliveries?and perhaps more than likely cause an accident. This court scene is expensive to the state, a day of work etc. Surely there should be a more refined system - more so if you are known to the Garda in the locality. It would help if they stopped these offenders, like the person who ferries her kids without seatbelts, and give them a warning and advise them that next time it is Court...........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I think you're the first person I've heard of getting an answer on the trafficwatch number, never mind getting any kind of follow up. Fair play!

Interested to hear if any more comes of it. Keep us posted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've often rang trafficwatch (usually for really dangerous driving) and always get an answer.

Its worth saving the number in your phone - 1890205805

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

suitseir wrote: »
    If you bring the complaint to the Garda Station, my understanding is that you will be told that if they proscecute, you will be asked, will you go to Court. Your word against theirs!!! mind you!!!

I had a situation last Thursday on my way home from work on an R route where I was behind a VW golf, who was in turn behind a cattle truck - straight white line! This guy in a delivery lorry comes speeding up behind me. After about a minute he overtook me, tucked in behind the cattle lorry, then went to overtake the lorry, on the straight white line, came back, and tried it again about 4 times I reckon. At one stage, I thought I was on a dual carriageway, albeit, on an R route!!!!

On approaching the town, this overtaker stopped, double parked, to make his delivery. I stopped, legally parked, might I ad, approached the driver and expressed my total dismay at his driving. He was not abusive, but quite clearly did not understand me!!! He kept loading up his delivery, ignoring me! I duly told him I would be taking his reg number and would be making a complaint at the local Garda Station. I think he did not understand a word I was saying. I made the complaint by phone as the station was closed and they informed me that if they prosecute that this could go to Court.

I ask myself, is it worth all of this? Why can't the Garda (especially if they know you) just stop this guy from doing the same as he moves onto another town with his deliveries?and perhaps more than likely cause an accident. This court scene is expensive to the state, a day of work etc. Surely there should be a more refined system - more so if you are known to the Garda in the locality. It would help if they stopped these offenders, like the person who ferries her kids without seatbelts, and give them a warning and advise them that next time it is Court...........:confused:
    I had thought about the effort of going to court, etc. but then I thought should I let this person continue trying to kill their kids?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Fair play KB,
    Great to see someone being proactive. But if i was you i'd ask them just to caution the driver. It will save you alot of hassle. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

kbannon wrote: »
    I had thought about the effort of going to court, etc. but then I thought should I let this person continue trying to kill their kids?

Fair point. You could probably say the same for my situation!

I think though that taking into account that, say, you are known as a concerned citizen and that in the situation that you are known to the Garda, as such, that you could relate this dangerous activitiy that you have been witness to and that, in turn, the Garda could call to the driver of this car and make them aware of how dangerous it is? besides having to go down the other route! Just a though!:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Driving form Cork to Limerick last night. 2 cars overtook us with no rear lights working. They had headlights on ok.

I've made 1 or 2 reports to that no. before but am not too confident any action would be taken had I called these in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

milltown wrote: »
    I think you're the first person I've heard of getting an answer on the trafficwatch number, never mind getting any kind of follow up. Fair play!

Interested to hear if any more comes of it. Keep us posted.

Trafficwatch always get back on to me, too. Reported various stuff from the stupidly minor - cars parked in bus lanes approaching rush hour (one caused serious fun on the Belgard Road) - to far more dangerous- kids playing and people cycling push bikes on motorways before... never had enough time to get reg plates, etc of dangerous drivers. Always get a call from the local Garda station a day or two later with the follow up.

I think the telling you it is going to court is part trying to save themselves work and part ensuring its not a wasted court day for them. I've said I'd go to court if required but everything has been people being 'caught in the act' so to speak so never had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A bit ot but related to the results of what happens when people in Kbannons case crash. Why is the stupidity of the drivers in these situations not emphasised (sp?) more ? Case in point being the crash , was it last year, of the 2 women who crashed a car with 4 kids in it.

It was a standard saloon or hatch, cant remember the details, bui a Civic is ringing bells. All that was mentioned was the amount of kids and adults in the car for the sake of lettign people know how many involved, but nothing was said of the fact that there was too many people in the car for the amount of seats/belts. There was no fuss made and the reporting didnt seem bothered about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Given that a successful prosecution is highly unlikely, i'd tend to agree with the others on the 'recommend a caution' route. Hopefully it'll make them think, and if they do end up killing or maiming their kids at least kbannon will know he did what he could to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I used to work with a bloke who was reported for overtaking on a whiteline. the cops caught up with him and he denied it to the ground. They said the woman is making a statement he said let her make a statement i didn't do that and that was it his word against her

I've rang them once about a truck carrying dead sheap in mayo , I was driving and i noticed what i thought was a dead dog on the road, i overtook one or 2 cars and noticed a couple more and though some farmers sheep must have escaped and been hit but i ended up behind a lorry and next minute a sheep drops from the air in front of me over the next few miles a few more came off the truck. The cops asked for a statement I declined.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bloke who overtook on the white line quite likely watched out for himself a bit more after it, albeit likely with a "fecking meddling old bag" thought going through his mind - job done, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MYOB wrote: »
    The bloke who overtook on the white line quite likely watched out for himself a bit more after it, albeit likely with a "fecking meddling old bag" thought going through his mind - job done, so to speak.

It did the trick alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I was caught behind an artic one night going up to Dublin. He was right up my rear end, and was trying to overtake everyone. I kept at 100KM just to see if he would break the limit. Sure enough he did, and on a white line. Everyone coming against him had to pull in. I was raging, rang traffic watch, but unfortunately didn't get the reg. It would have been worth a day in court. This guy could have seriously caused damage.....

At what point do you think it's worth ringing traffic watch though. In my case, the driver was WELL out of order.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Without meaning to be smart, what's the point in ringing TrafficWatch without a reg?

Advertisement