Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left or Right Hand Drive

Options
  • 15-09-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

So the search for a camper van began in earnest last weekend with our first trip to a dealers.

We had no idea there were so many different shapes / sizes and layouts of camper vans!

We spoke to the dealer at length and he was very helpful and even gave us a booklet they had written up for first time camper buyers.

One of the things we discussed was left hand drive versus right hand drive. He recommended Right hand drive as:
    1. Felt it was safer as the gearshift was on the side you would be more used to and therefore in an emergency would more instinctively go to this side.
    2. Most people will use their vans more in Ireland than on the continent (we had said we planned 2 weeks on the continent and as many weekends as we could at home)
    3. He maintained it was easier to drive a RHD over there than a LHD over here due to better (wider) roads etc
    4. LHDs are manufactured for the european market and will only have a hob for cooking. RHDs are manufactured for the UK market and will generally have a hob and an oven or grill.
    5. Better resale value on a RHDs
    What are all of you experienced campers out theres thoughts on this issue.
    Could you let me know whether you drive a RHD or LHD and what are the pros and cons of each as you see it!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

My first motorhome was a LHD and never had a problem driving it around Ireland and UK for the five year we had it. Overtaking was fine as typically you could see above the car in front, unless you got behind a slow tractor pulling a high load!! Then the passanger came in handy!! Also when taking a left turn then again the passanger came in handy.. The gear change never appeared to be a problem.
    Then purchased a RHD. On our first outing I tipped off a tree and pulled the awning off:(. Reason was that I hadn't gauged the width of the vehicle and was so used to sitting closest to the ditch. Since that no problems.
    Per year we typically drive around 2K km around Ireland and 3-4K km around Europe. Never really gave it much thought which is more suitable as both LHD & RHD equally work as well.
    As reguards RHD manufactures there's a Spanish crowd called Benimar who produce RHD vehicles and they tend to have all the extras including grill etc.

Oh only real advantage to RHD is the French toll booths where I make the wife do all the payments as I'm on the wrong side:D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

stapeler wrote: »

Oh only real advantage to RHD is the French toll booths where I make the wife do all the payments as I'm on the wrong side:D

I can;t believe the dealer left this out when offering his advise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello Repolho,
    You must decide yourself which side you want your steering on.If you are going to use it mainly in the British Isles and on motorways only in Europe then a right hand drive is ok.But if you wish to use it to travel in europe on main and secondry roads,then a left hand drive is a must, and to correct a point made by the dealer,roads in Europe including motorways (some exceptions) are not as wide as roads in Ireland and Britian.I have been driving in Europe since 1971.Driving on the right "I think" is the natural side to drive on and i have trouble ajusting back to the left when i get back to ireland. I have only changed to left hand drive in recent times and while it does take time to get used to it is the safer option for Europe.
    Hope that's of some help
    boyoh ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Thanks for the replies. So we have 2 out of 2 for left hand drive.

I have driven in France and Spain before (hire cars) and I felt at the time that it would have been alot more difficult if the car were RHD.

I'm leaning towards LHD so far.

Keep the advice and opinions coming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Driven both LHD & RHD here........LHD is v comfortable here.....u know exactly how close you are to the ditch :D If you are overtaking, you can run into problems if you cannot see over the vehicle that you are trying to pass. Either you believe your passanger or you hang well back so you can get a view. Just remember though that motorhomes are built for comfort not speed ;)

In Europe, I have never had to drive RHD so I cannot comment but I can say that you are more naturally inclined to get your road positioning correct if you are driving LHD over there

Currently I have a LHD and would not hesitate to go for a LHD again......they may also be slightly cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Malta1 wrote: »
    Driven both LHD & RHD here........LHD is v comfortable here.....u know exactly how close you are to the ditch :D

plus you get a better view of the crater like potholes at the edge of the road, the broken off verge, the leaning phone and ESB masts, the overhanging trees, the stupidly placed road signs ...etc, etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

the dealer says RHD holds value better (here in Ireland), but is LHD cheaper to buy in the first place, especially second hand abroad where there may be a far bigger selection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Another issue is the main entrance of the living quarters.
    On LHD vehicles you always have to exit onto the road (when parked up at the side) which can be a bit of an issue (especially with children on board) as you can't see out and have a look before opening the door.

However, buying a RHD vehicle doesn't always guarantee that the exit is on the correct side, because on some continental makes they only switch the orientation of the base vehicle, not the "living quarters"

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

However, buying a RHD vehicle doesn't always guarantee that the exit is on the correct side, because on some continental makes they only switch the orientation of the base vehicle, not the "living quarters"[/QUOTE]

Yeah - just had a RHD Rimor there for a while and lo and behold - the door to outside was on the right side! Never really copped it until now - so used to having LHD campers!
    I have no problem driving LHD here in Ireland and I am a lady driver!! (Please - no funny comments now!):P

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

muint wrote: »
    However, buying a RHD vehicle doesn't always guarantee that the exit is on the correct side, because on some continental makes they only switch the orientation of the base vehicle, not the "living quarters"
    Noticed a good few lady drivers driving camper vans of late fair play to them.a friend of mine had one and it had no power stearing .she used to sleep with the keys in the ignition in case she got into bother when she was wild camping and had the kidds with her.

Yeah - just had a RHD Rimor there for a while and lo and behold - the door to outside was on the right side! Never really copped it until now - so used to having LHD campers!
    I have no problem driving LHD here in Ireland and I am a lady driver!! (Please - no funny comments now!):P[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

There's nothing wrong with lady drivers (gives men a chance to doze!) - my other half drives our LHD when we're away. I reckon it's so she's not sitting in the middle of the road without a steering wheel watching every truck zoom towards her.

In the year I have mine, I would definitely recommend getting a lefty - you know how far in you can get without hitting a tree, and when it comes to stopping in towns, if the traffic is really bad, then all out the drivers' door is yer only man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Yeah

LHD has no issues for me... I like knowing how close i am to the ditches/parked cars etc.., specially on the back roads down here and squeezing through narrow gaps in town centres... In fact I'd go as far as saying I prefer it.

The exit from the habitation area isn't a problem - I usually park up on the oppostie side of the road, so the door is onto the pavement/ditch...

My wife drove the van for the first time a few weeks ago (with only the kids to help her out)... she also had no problem coping with LHD, when driving its just a case of "spatial awareness" - how close are you to the centre of the road... over the white line??? I use the mirror on the passenger side regulary to check i haven't strayed over to the other side of the road.

Chris

Advertisement