Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to buy second hand 4x4

Options
  • 15-09-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks

As some of you may know I am in the market for a second hand 4x4. Just wondering would you guys recommend any places in Ireland, the North or England that sell decent second hand ones. Having a website with vehicles listed is a big plus

I am looking for something old and reliable (max 2k budget). She doesn't have to be beautiful but I don't want to put a bloody fortune into it to keep it running.

I don't give a fcuk about resale value or fuel economy as it will be a second vehicle.

Carzone is a bit crap as the prices asked are stupid on second hand 4x4s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

par for the course, anything with 4wd is expensive, If its new its bigger than a car so itll cost more. If its old its a classic.
    probably best looking in buy and sell. Garage forecourts arent somewhere to get a cheap jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Slig wrote: »
    par for the course, anything with 4wd is expensive, If its new its bigger than a car so itll cost more. If its old its a classic.
    probably best looking in buy and sell. Garage forecourts arent somewhere to get a cheap jeep.

Doesn't have to be a garage forecourt. Private sales are fine by me. Saying that even private they can be priced stupidly here.

Piston heads is a decent site for things like this (even after registration tax). The only site I can think of like it here is carzone. So was wondering is there anything closer to home I had not heard about.

Buy and sell may be a good option. (no pics in adverts aint the best but hey there has to be a compromise somewhere I suppose)

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

Let us know how you get on. I'm on a similar mission myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

www.autotrader.co.uk
    you will need the postcode of where you're starting your search from for example airport or ferry port, train station.

results can be displayed in distance from search point by price.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be a garage forecourt. Private sales are fine by me. Saying that even private they can be priced stupidly here.

Piston heads is a decent site for things like this (even after registration tax). The only site I can think of like it here is carzone. So was wondering is there anything closer to home I had not heard about.

Buy and sell may be a good option. (no pics in adverts aint the best but hey there has to be a compromise somewhere I suppose)

Thanks for that

Carzone is a great website but if it were me selling something for small money it would go into buy and sell because its free to advertise rather than paying 30 euro a month on any websites, it just wouldnt be worth it.
    Auctions are another option, I used to love going to them as a kid. They are a great place to get a cheap car but youd want to know what your at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

URL="http://www.autotrader.co.uk"]www.autotrader.co.uk[/URL]
    you will need the postcode of where you're starting your search from for example airport or ferry port, train station.

results can be displayed in distance from search point by price.[/QUOTE]

There is also an irish autotrader site
    http://www.autotrader.ie

Carzone is a great website but if it were me selling something for small money it would go into buy and sell because its free to advertise rather than paying 30 euro a month on any websites, it just wouldnt be worth it.

Very good point, I have never put an advertisement up there so wasn't aware of the costs but that explains it a bit alright. I always thought there was a distinct lack of cheap vehicles there and this goes a long way to explain it.
    Auctions are another option, I used to love going to them as a kid. They are a great place to get a cheap car but youd want to know what your at.

There is an auction local to me and I am going to attend asap to have a look. It can be quite difficult as you don't get to drive the vehicles a lot of the time.

autotrader.co.uk is very good and in the lead at the moment. Obviously you have the disadvantage of having to travel to england but for the savings to be made it seems worth it at the moment.

Buy and sell is ok

The only other thing I will say is that keeping your ear to the ground locally is another good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Try the auctions some good deals to be got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Hate to be a total pesismist here... but for 2k you really are only going to be buying some other mans trouble.

If its a commercial it will have to be tested and there is a lot of expensive parts in jeeps to replace.

Things like bottom ball joints, track rod ends and cv joints are big money compared to car parts. If you are not able to do the work yourself, these jobs will also cost more.

For instance a cv boot on a car is a handy job. On a jeep with double wishbone front suspension it can be a pain in the arse and quite time consuming

slideways wrote: »
    Hate to be a total pesismist here... but for 2k you really are only going to be buying some other mans trouble.

If its a commercial it will have to be tested and there is a lot of expensive parts in jeeps to replace.

Things like bottom ball joints, track rod ends and cv joints are big money compared to car parts. If you are not able to do the work yourself, these jobs will also cost more.

For instance a cv boot on a car is a handy job. On a jeep with double wishbone front suspension it can be a pain in the arse and quite time consuming

I see what you are saying and agree completely but my brother is a mechanic so I can just dump the work on him. :D

The reasons you have listed are why I have not just gone out and bought yet.

Saying that I was in a 1995 1.6 vitara last week doing a bit of green laning and that did superbly well, even did a little better than an 88-89 defender. That vitara was bought for 600 euro and was in perfect mechanical order (bar a flat battery). That was an ear to the ground type sale though.

• Advertisement

I see what you are saying and agree completely but my brother is a mechanic so I can just dump the work on him. :D

The reasons you have listed are why I have not just gone out and bought yet.

Saying that I was in a 1995 1.6 vitara last week doing a bit of green laning and that did superbly well, even did a little better than an 88-89 defender. That vitara was bought for 600 euro and was in perfect mechanical order (bar a flat battery). That was an ear to the ground type sale though.

I'm thinking of looking across the water but I dont know what the situation with VRT and commercial is, my budget is a little higher at 10K but you can get alot more over there for a lot less. It might be worth a look

I'm thinking of looking across the water but I dont know what the situation with VRT and commercial is, my budget is a little higher at 10K but you can get alot more over there for a lot less. It might be worth a look

Aint that the truth.

I was looking on the vitara owners club and there are some nice motors for sale there.

Really impressed by the vitara the other day. lift kit and off road tyres and she'd be a pretty good for my needs.

Thinking of going over in a few weeks.

Look at the motors forum for import info its full of it.

Aint that the truth.

I was looking on the vitara owners club and there are some nice motors for sale there.

Really impressed by the vitara the other day. lift kit and off road tyres and she'd be a pretty good for my needs.

Thinking of going over in a few weeks.

Look at the motors forum for import info its full of it.

Ya I trawled through as much as my fragile brain could cope with on a Monday morning. It mostly deals with passanger vehicles so eventually I decided to just start a thread on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2106414

I dunno if this suits your needs, but its within your budget and a 4x4. I had a SWB Commercial version a few years ago and never had any trouble with it.

As a matter of interest what do you need a 4X4 vehicle for? Is it for towing, do you need good ground clearance etc. This should help when narrowing down options.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

what kind of 4x4 you looking for

do you want a pickup or commercial(covered job)

do you want one doe tested or not

do you want a driveaway one or one you can do some work to yourself

what part of the country(county will do)

it'll make the looking out easier

for 2k you have quite a few options

throw in the year(s) that siut you too

oflynno wrote: »
    what kind of 4x4 you looking for

I have been impressed by a 1.6 vitara I was in last week. SO I want swb, decent offroad performance, cheap to maintain (spare parts not costing a weeks wages). Has to carry 1 passenger, gear and dog. Manual gearbox is a must
    do you want a pickup or commercial(covered job)

Don't want a pick-up as its too big to go some places. A commercial swb is an option
    do you want one doe tested or not

It would be better if it was but a small engine passenger swb jeep like a jimny or old vitara would be ok too as small engine size means tax would be reasonable.
    do you want a driveaway one or one you can do some work to yourself

Needs to be mechanically sound, especially drive train and 4x4 system , interior and exterior condition are an after thought but it has to run very well if not perfectly. Cant be let down by it.
    what part of the country(county will do)

In munster but would travel

it'll make the looking out easier

for 2k you have quite a few options

throw in the year(s) that suit you too

Well as long as the thing is in sound mechanical order the year is again not hugely important, less mileage and abuse it has suffered the better after that

Thanks to the folks who have PM'd me appreciate it

right i found this one for you on the net

its in wexford

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/834048

what do you reckon?

right i found this one for you on the net

its in wexford

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/834048

what do you reckon?

Ticks all the boxes but its LWB, good find that one though

I would be a little apprehensive of it having no NCT but a test drive and a good poke around and it could be a runner.

A lift kit and better tyres and it could be a good one.

Thanks a mil for that. Keep em comin

Just coming back to say I think www.donedeal.ie is one of the best Irish sites for cheap motors I've seen

Some definite contenders there anyway

ya,i couldn't agree more

i bought a 1985 v8 range rover 2 weeks ago cheap

and loads of fun

• Advertisement

ya,i couldn't agree more

i bought a 1985 v8 range rover 2 weeks ago cheap

and loads of fun

Good find, was open to getting one of them too. Way more wagon than I'd need but they're nice

Advertisement