Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Rental/Used Bicycle Purchase

Options
  • 15-09-2008 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am going to be visiting Ireland, Ring of Kerry for a week prior to taking my daughter to school at Trinity. We are traveling from San Francisco CA, USA, I am an avid road cyclist, but do not feel like traveling with my bike. Is there any place in Dublin I can rent or purchase a decent used road bike 58cm for use during our visit? My daughter wants me to find her a used bike for school, in the states I would use Craigslist, however the listings seem limited in Dublin, any other ideas for good local boards? Thanks in advance for your help, we leave this Friday.

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've asked someone who may be selling a road bike to get in touch with you if so. Failing that, the two websites that come to mind are www.adverts.ie and www.gumtree.ie. Naturally, there wouldn't be anything like the selection you'd find on Craigslist but they're worth keeping an eye on over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I am that someone but sadly the bike is already sold. It may not have suited anyway - it was a 56cm frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I know for sure that in the town of Killarney (Kerry) there are plenty of places to rent bikes. I don't know if the places have road bikes in the true sense. The ones I noticed tended to be more city-bikes and MTB style (although they did not look suited to actual MTB activities)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hey Ian,

To rent a bike, as Raam says you would be able to get one in Kerry itself, the larger towns all have bike rental places, Killarney, Tralee, Dingle. I haven't come across anywhere that rents out roadbikes myself. If you want to get the bike in Dublin, you can try http://www.cycleways.com/store/content/46/Rentabike/

You might be able to bring this on the train with you to Kerry, but I'm not sure if the train to Kerry takes bikes as you have to change trains en route.

For your daughter have a look at www.adverts.ie and www.gumtree.ie for secondhand bikes. If you need a hand looking for a decent location to rent etc, post up here, fellow cyclists like to help each other out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

'Diarmuid' managed to rent a semi-decent road bike from the phoenix park I think, back in june or july, when he was training for the Etape. Maybe he'll pop by and let you know where he got it, else send him a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Verb wrote: »
    You might be able to bring this on the train with you to Kerry, but I'm not sure if the train to Kerry takes bikes as you have to change trains en route.
    QUOTE]

You can (and I have) to both Killarney and Tralee. The only thing to be conscious of is the change at Mallow. Sometimes, when the train from Dublin pulls in, the Kerry train is already waiting and you need to be fairly quick in moving your bike from one train to the other.

Advertisement