Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Sun Murder Map

Options
  • 15-09-2008 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the title but check out this page on the Baltimore sun website.

http://essentials.baltimoresun.com/micro_sun/homicides/

Play around with it a bit, change cause of death to shooting for example.

Gives you an insight into the chaos of Baltimore's murder rate.
    Change to satellite view and zoom in and you could well be watching The Wire.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

As I've said before I'm glad I dont live there!

Some amount of murders there by shooting alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

four people strangled in the last six months, sound like Mafia hits. Also there is a suburb called Dundalk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dubmick wrote: »

Also there is a suburb called Dundalk

Classy no matter where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Number of black males shot to death over the last six months = approx 60.

2mh8xt5.jpg

Number of white males shot to death over the last six months = one.

e0ic61.jpg

Interesting.

I wonder why the black males were shot? I would assume that a large percentage were drugs but could they all be drug related?

I'd say the police over there have it tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

kearnsr wrote: »
    I wonder why the black males were shot? I would assume that a large percentage were drugs but could they all be drug related?

Drugs and gang related I would say. But why is Baltimore specifically so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Being a port, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Well when the population of Baltimore is 65% black,it is more likely there will be a higher amount of black people being the victims. Also if you look at the demographics you will find that black people are,overall,poorer than white people in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's a lot of shootings :eek:

I didnt realise that the population of Baltimore is less than Dublin. Can you imagine if there was that many shootings here?

Thats what happens when you name a city after a place in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dubmick wrote: »
    four people strangled in the last six months
    Any bite marks or red ribbons?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

kearnsr wrote: »

David Simon gives a good answer to this question in the bbc interview posted in this section

Advertisement