Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too soon to leave?

Options
  • 14-09-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I started a telesales job 2 months ago but as I face going into work tomorrow the only thing on my mind is quitting. This is my first full-time job after previously having part-time administration experience and I don't want to walk from this job without giving it a proper shot. However I really hate the job. Its outbound calling to existing customers about other products the company sells and I am struggling to make sales. I'm not a 'natural' on the phone or do I have the 'salesman' in me, I know that can be worked on but ultimately I despise the nature of the job, these outbound calls are as close to harrassment as it can get! I'm just not comfortable with it. I really feel you need a certain mentality and frame of mind to succeed at something this and I know in my heart I don't have it.

I am dreading going into work tomorrow and every call I make is becoming a struggle. I wish I could last 6 months at this but I can't see myself lasting until the end of the week. Is two months too soon to leave a job even though you are unhappy? If I knew I could find another job that related to my previous experience in admin I would definitely leave without hesitation but knowing the state of the jobs market I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any advice? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 maidenireland

Hi,

2 months isn't a long time fair enough but there are lots of excuses you could use on a new employer at an interview for only staying with your previous job only 2-3 months like terms and conditions weren't met as promised and believe it or not - it's okay to tell a new employer that you just didn't like the role and it wasn't what you were led to believe, they would prefer you to be up front.
    I made a huge mistake 7 months ago coming to a new job (a competitor of my old job) and I was told it would be a mistake but I didn't listen as the money was 12k more per annum which is a huge hike I know - I've been miserable since the first day I walked through the door and am currently looking around for new employment which I think could be sorted soon, sometimes the head rules the heart but I would gladly take my old salary back elsewhere (not my old job - it was a kip).
    Just be aware of xmas around the corner and all that carry on and to finish up - NO...don't stay where you are not happy as it can and will affect your mental health, when you wake up of a morning dreading the day ahead and praying for 5 o'clock it's just not good - allways think of number 1 in these situations.

Hope this helps and good luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is no point in hanging around for six months when you can leave after two and get job you want to do. Start looking for a new job NOW rather than staying stuck in a rut and wasting your time. As soon as you find something suitable move on. Most employers will be relatively understanding if someone explains that they took a tele-sales job but decided that they wanted to do something other than cold-calling for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John1984

quit man

i have left jobs after 2 weeks if i didnt like them just hand in your weeks/months notice and leave

or

look for another job while working there then when you get an interview for a job you think you will like book the day off go and say to the possible new employer you only have 3 days left in old job if they hire you quit and dont go back. recruitment companies are only glad to get you on their books,

also just put on cv (Currently working do not call for reference ) and your sorted believe me i know most of the tricks in the book went through 6 jobs last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Get out, i was the same and if you stay you end up switchin from just out and out hatin it to worryin you wont be able to find work after it, i walked out of my place after a year and had hated it for around 360 days (not jokin) and couldnt be happier work wise

Advertisement