Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts of responsibility after Career Break

Options
  • 14-09-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I was on career break last year and returned to work on the 25th of August (back on payroll from the 1st of September I think) (Community and Comprehensive School).
    So anyway, there have been a few acting-up posts of responsibility come up since we came back. My boss says that i am not eligible for an acting-up post because he has a list since last year. Is this true? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

ciano6 wrote: »
    I was on career break last year and returned to work on the 25th of August (back on payroll from the 1st of September I think) (Community and Comprehensive School).
    So anyway, there have been a few acting-up posts of responsibility come up since we came back. My boss says that i am not eligible for an acting-up post because he has a list since last year. Is this true? Thanks

Next most senior person working in the school at the time of appointing the acting up post gets the acting up post - no interview - nothing ...it's the rules - has to be conducted in this manner......so if you're the next most senior person then you should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ALl PORs have to be filled form a new interview panel from 1st Sept in VEC schools, they can't use last years lists because more teachers could be eligible. Get onto the union

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you permanent?
    I applied for an Assistant Principalship on my return from a two-year career break a few years ago and was successful. I was not the most senior applicant as in VEC schools it goes on merit rather than service, though service counts for up to a maximum of 30 marks (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

spurious wrote: »
    Are you permanent?
    I applied for an Assistant Principalship on my return from a two-year career break a few years ago and was successful. I was not the most senior applicant as in VEC schools it goes on merit rather than service, though service counts for up to a maximum of 30 marks (I think).

Yes, interviews go on merit with points allocated for years of service but an acting up post goes on seniority.....as long as the most senior person agrees to do the duties.

CIRCULAR 17 / 00

Page 13 - 16

15. ACTING POSTS OF RESPONSIBILITY
    Appointment of Acting Post Holders
    An acting post holder is appointed to the post of Deputy Principal, Assistant Principal or
    Special Duties Teacher:
    ã when the permanent post holder is absent on approved leave of absence or an intraschool
    job sharing arrangement for a minimum period of one consecutive calendar
    month provided the post of responsibility is still warranted.
    ã where a special education post holder temporarily relinquishes his/her post of
    responsibility allowance, providing the post of responsibility is still warranted.
    (a) Determining that an Acting Post is warranted
    Before appointing a teacher to an acting post of responsibility, other than to a Principal's
    post, a Board of Management must ensure that the acting appointment is warranted.
    An acting post is warranted when the terms of Sections 6 and 13 of this Circular have
    been fully satisfied. If necessary, a Board is required to seek clarification in this matter
    from the Primary Payments Section of the Department before proceeding with an acting
    appointment.

(b) Duties of an Acting Post Holder
    A teacher appointed to an acting post shall be required to undertake duties appropriate
    to the post.
    (c) Acting appointments – Short Term / Long Term
    It is necessary to distinguish between acting appointments which are short term in
    duration from those which are long term in duration.
    The Department shall pay an acting allowance when an acting arrangement has been in
    place for at least one consecutive calendar month e.g. from 13th September 2000 -
    12th October 2000 inclusive
    1. Short Term Acting Appointments
    Short term acting appointments apply for absences of less than one school year i.e. start
    during the school year and do not extend beyond the end of the school year.
    Short term acting appointments are required to be filled by the promotion of the next
    most senior suitable post holder in the school as described in (i) to (iv) below.
    In the event that there is/are no other post holder(s) on the staff of a school, an acting
    post should be filled by promoting the most senior suitable teacher.
    (i) Acting Principal
    In schools with 3 or more teachers a Deputy Principal or Vice Principal should be
    promoted to fill an acting Principal's post in the absence of the Principal teacher owing
    to illness or other cause. Should the Deputy Principal refuse to take the Acting
    Principal’s post his/her Deputy Principal’s allowance will cease to be paid for the
    duration of the acting post. In two teacher schools the mainstream class teacher must
    undertake the duties of the Principal teacher during any period that s/he is absent from
    the school. In the event that the mainstream class teacher is not prepared to undertake
    the duties of the Principal teacher his/her allowance shall be withdrawn. In one teacher
    schools the replacement teacher may be paid an acting allowance.
    (ii) Acting Deputy Principal
    The most senior suitable Assistant Principal or Grade A post holder should be promoted
    to fill an acting Deputy Principal's post. In schools without an Assistant Principal/Grade
    A post holder the most senior suitable special Duties Teacher or Grade B post holder
    may be appointed as acting Deputy Principal.
    (iii) Acting Assistant Principal
    The most senior suitable Special Duties Teacher or Grade B post holder should be
    promoted to fill an acting Assistant Principal's post.

(iv) Acting Special Duties Teacher
    A vacancy for acting Special Duties Teacher should be filled by the promotion of the
    most senior suitable unpromoted teacher within the staff of a school.
    2. Long Term Acting Appointments
    Long term acting appointments extend for a minimum period of one school year.
    Long term acting appointments may be filled in either two ways:
    (i) Long term acting appointments for Principals, Deputy Principals and Assistant
    Principals may be filled as set out in 1(i) to 1(iv) above i.e. promotion of next most
    senior suitable post holder.
    The most junior/consequential acting vacancy arising, if any, must be filled by
    open competition from within the staff of the school. The open competition
    procedures are described in Sections 7 to 10 of this Circular.
    (ii) As an alternative to the procedures for making acting appointments outlined in 1(i) to
    1(iv) above, a Board of Management may fill a long term acting post by open
    competition from within the staff of a school in accordance with Subsection 15(d) below.
    (iii) In the event that the procedures in 2(i) and 2(ii) above have been followed and no
    teacher is willing to undertake the duties of the Principal, it is open to the Board of
    Management to advertise the post of Acting Principal. However, if no suitable
    applicant applies for the post, the Deputy Principal will be obliged to act for the
    Principal. Should the Deputy Principal refuse to take the Assistant Principal’s post
    his/her Deputy Principal’s allowance will be cease to be paid for the duration of the
    acting post.
    (d) The procedures to be followed when making acting appointments through open
    competition are outlined in Sections 7 to 10 of this Circular. These procedures are
    modified to the extent that the necessity to have an independent assessor on the
    Selection Board for acting appointments is removed.
    (e) Adhering to the Arrangements:
    Irrespective of which option a Board selects to make acting appointments, (i.e.
    promotion on seniority/suitability or by open competition); it must adhere to its selected
    option for an entire school year.
    (f) General Matters:
    (1) Long term acting appointments which are warranted and are set to continue into a
    second school year or longer may continue uninterrupted. However, notification of
    continuation of appointment must be submitted to the Department.
    (2) With effect from 1 May, 1999 where an acting Principal, acting Deputy Principal,
    acting Assistant Principal or acting Special Duties teacher post is held for a period
    in excess of 5 consecutive years, the acting-up allowance shall be retained on a
    personal basis. An acting appointment for a 5 year career break is excluded. If the
    acting arrangement continues in excess of a period of five years the acting post
    holder who retains the allowance on a personal basis must continue to carry out
    the acting post of responsibility duties until the actual post holder returns. The
    acting post holder is not eligible to retain the allowance if s/he voluntarily
    relinquishes the acting post.

spurious wrote: »
    Are you permanent?

It doesn't matter AFAIK, once you work the full year in the school witha timetable, you can apply for a POR, even if your timetable is not full hours but open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheDriver wrote: »
    It doesn't matter AFAIK, once you work the full year in the school witha timetable, you can apply for a POR, even if your timetable is not full hours but open to correction on this.
    Yes, I meant if they were permanent and not on any list of staff compiled a year ago the Principal wouldn't have a leg to stand on as permanent people, even if on CB are technically still on the staff list for a centre until the five years are up - again I'm speaking from a VEC point of view, I don't know how they do it in voluntary secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

This is from the TUI website:

Candidates for the post of Principal and Deputy Principal will be required to have a minimum of five years’ whole time teaching service or its equivalent. In the case of Assistant Principal and Special Duties Teacher posts, all qualified teachers with a minimum of three and one years’ wholetime teaching service respectively or its equivalent, are eligible to apply. Permanent, temporary, eligible part-time, substitute or part-time service which amounts to 22 weeks or to 200 hours or more in any one school year will reckon as year of wholetime service for eligibility purposes. The revised eligibility criteria do not apply to re-interviews for vacant promotional posts following appeals upheld prior to the issuing of the Circular Letters 06/02 and 07/02. Applications for posts of responsibility should be sought from eligible teachers within the school concerned. Teachers who are on career breaks or on other approved absences or job sharing are entitled to be notified of vacancies. Notice of the vacant post shall be posted in the school for a period of not less than 5 school days.

Does this help??

teacher in my place got a POR while on career break and then temp to the next on the list til she came back the following year

Advertisement