Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum class sizes

Options
  • 14-09-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I know that the ASTI and the TUI have maximum class sizes at senior cycle. But, in my senior science classes (fifth and sixth year), I have 31 students. I am in the ASTI. They have a maximum class size of 24 for laboratory classes. Realistically, is there anything that I can do about my giant classes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Cian,

The union directives are pretty clear on class size TUI is definitely 24 I think ASTI is the same. I'm a practical teacher and have had trouble on this front before. Your principal is more than likely a member of the ASTI also and should not be asking you to breach directives.

The bottom line is that your union has directed it's members not to teach more than the max. School management are fully aware of the directives and should not allocate more students than this to the classes. It is up to your principal to accomodate extra students elsewhere, he/she made the problem not you.

My advice. Outline your position which should be that you are available to teach 24 students, but no more, at the times on your timetable. Ask them to try to reallocate the extra students or implement a rota where extra students are removed from class each day to satisfy requirements.

Its a tough call especially if you're not in the school long but generally this s*** is pulled with new/young teachers. But if you take more than the recommended number into the class will it be your ass when something goes wrong???

Advertisement