Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevie Wonder on Jonathon Ross

Options
  • 14-09-2008 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely phenomenal is an understatement!

Truly one of the most amazing artists of our time.. and the montage of songs at the end was fantastic.

Just after catching the repeat and glad I did.

Anyone else see him on it? Was wondering why they rushed through Steve Coogan and the un-interesting WAG but Stevie was top class.

Only copy I could find of him playing 'Superstition':

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bah, missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I watched it last night and again just now. He seemed a genuinely great guy. Brilliant music. Ross reminded me of a child at Christmas when he got on that drum kit! He got a great present too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Absolutely brilliant, just caught the repeat, saw it on Friday also,Stevie was a great, as others have said really seems a nice guy, have to say Jonathon Ross is a great interviewer, great show. Really enjoyed it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well, it was good to see for sure. Performers like this keep coming back and nothing from the popstars/pop idol/x factor rubbish will be doing this stuff to a wide audience in 20 or 30 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wanna impress me? Take the wheel mothafacko...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thought he was excellent too, a true living legend.
    BTW his daughter wasn't bad either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yup, a great bit of TV, old Rossie is The Man for Friday night entertainment (compared to you-know-who).

Stevie Wonder (not so Little any more) is a true living legend and it was a privilege to see him in the flesh coming across as a pretty ordinary person. His music certainly stands the test of time.

Wonder will JR have Jacko on at some point in the future? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

What was really refreshing about this was that JR shut the f*ck up to a large extent. He was visibly in awe of the legend that was The Wonder and it showed. THIS is the closest Ross has ever come to being even within shouting distance of Parkinson in his heyday - a person on as a guest who had nothing to sell (his gigs are sold out) and who just was there to talk.

It's great to see this every now and then - a veritable living legend just letting loose on a chat show couch and eminating a warmth from nigh on every pore. When Stevie recited the lyric from that song, i'm sure there was something in my eye and the spontaneous applause said it all. Heck, I even forgave Ross for saying "well, it's good, but it's no My Cherie Amour, is it?"

Now, Jonathan, next time some bird with big knockers offers to come on the show, tell her to piss off, and instead work on getting Keith Richards. You've proven that you can put the ego to one side and let the boyish fan out every now and then; sometimes the boyish fan is a better interviewer than the foppish lothario...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Watched it on repeat last night and awesome appearence indeed by legendry steve wonder. Great performance at the end , great to hear 'superstition ' and my fav ' i was made to love her '. His daughter is Gorgeous oh , and Abie Clancy is not bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Sir Duke' sounded fecking amazing too.. one of my favourite songs to get me out of a slump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

What was really refreshing about this was that JR shut the f*ck up to a large extent. He was visibly in awe of the legend that was The Wonder and it showed. THIS is the closest Ross has ever come to being even within shouting distance of Parkinson in his heyday - a person on as a guest who had nothing to sell (his gigs are sold out) and who just was there to talk.

It's great to see this every now and then - a veritable living legend just letting loose on a chat show couch and eminating a warmth for nigh on every pore. When Stevie recited the lyric from that song, i'm sure there was something in my eye and the spontaneous applause said it all. Heck, I even forgave Ross for saying "well, it's good, but it's no My Cherie Amour, is it?"

Now, Jonathan, next time some bird with big knockers offers to come on the show, tell her to piss off, and instead work on getting Keith Richards. You've proven that you can put the ego to one side and let the boyish fan out every now and then; sometimes the boyish fan is a better interviewer than the foppish lothario...

this post is really making me wish i'd seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

basquille wrote: »
    Anyone else see him on it? Was wondering why they rushed through Steve Coogan and the un-interesting WAG

I've a comment about what Ross said to Coogan,

I thought it was a complete case of saying something for the sake of something to say when Ross broached the subject of Alan Partridge making the transition to the U.S., Ross was talking some tripe about how The Office was a quintessentially British scenario [FALSE] that was translated to the American audience with large degrees of success[TRUE].

Mr. Wonder was excellent, beamed with personality and really engaged with the interview. I think Stevie took charge after his daughter left...slowing things down and softening the mood with his lyrics and then swearing and making light of himself to speed things up again.

Although I like the show, Ross is my least favorite element in it. It's sickening the way he finishes every interview with how much he loves the 'insert guests name here's' work. (And lambastes their movie with his subsequent review!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Although I like the show, Ross is my least favorite element in it. It's sickening the way he finishes every interview with how much he loves the 'insert guests name here's' work. (And lambastes their movie with his subsequent review!).

Ross is the show. Without him it wouldn't be the same, he is excellent IMO.
    He is one of a few interviewers that can say outrageous things to quests and get away with it although I take your point about 'being a big of' every guest but its fairly clear when he is genuine fan of a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What was really refreshing about this was that JR shut the f*ck up to a large extent.
    That was the best part. I was expecting him to say something wacky and off the wall like he normally does :rolleyes: Or try and lighten the mood with a stupid joke when Stevie was talking about his mother etc. I'm glad he left it alone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Also enjoyed it. His guests are getting better and better. Whatever your opinion of him, the show is always improving. He seems to have a good reputation among the US A-listers. Ben Stiller next week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Ross is the show. Without him it wouldn't be the same, he is excellent IMO.
    He is one of a few interviewers that can say outrageous things to quests and get away with it although I take your point about 'being a big of' every guest but its fairly clear when he is genuine fan of a guest.

Talk show wise its pretty good, production value, guests and varity but out of it all my least liked element is Ross. I dont hate the guy and he makes me laugh occasionally but for me the sucky uppy pandering has me switching channel near the end of each interview.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

this post is really making me wish i'd seen this.

Youtube has 10 minutes of it available but very poorly recorded.

Advertisement