Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Purpose saw for creating Beehive frames???

Options
  • 13-09-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hope this is the correct place to post this. My father is a beekeeper and is trying to find some sort of multi-purpose saw that can create frames for beehives. I have attached an image of a frame for those who are unfamiliar. Any idea what exactly he should be looking for if anything like this actually exists?

It is possible a few others will join in on the cost of it so they are willing to pay a good bit for one.

Thanks in advance,

Dapos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I'd go with a mid sized bandsaw, you could cut all the joints on the frame with one. The only thing you would not be able to do is the vertical groove in the uprights (is that for the honeycomb?), you would have to use a router for that. Check out McQuillans in Capel St. or Blanch.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I would be more inclined to use a small bench saw.

You could use if for the comb joint on the frame ends as well as all the prep work for the individual pieces.

If you are into bee keeping in a serious manner, then I can give you details of a lecturer in bee keeping who I worked with many years ago, who is a master joiner as well, and used to make all his own frames, so he would be ideally suited to advise you.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

My father kept bees, many years ago and made his own frames using a table saw; the groove was formed with the crown guard removed (dangerous and illegal now, I know) but you could improvise an appropriate safety guard. It's a very economical way to produce the frames, especially if the quantities are large. A few simple homemade jigs would make production accurate and fast.

Advertisement