Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel Tunnel Fire

Options
  • 13-09-2008 2:26am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There has been another major fire in the Channel Tunnel, this time on a freight train (as always) in the North tube 7 miles from Calais. It appears that a lorry carrying volatile and highly flammable chemicals started the blaze, and thankfully 30 people in the tunnel at the time escaped.

But this is only the latest in a number of fires in the Channel Tunnel. Surely the UK and French authorities need to ask themselves if it is prudent or safe to allow flammable materials and chemicals to traverse the tunnel, given their risk for starting potentially devestating and disruptive fires? I don't seem to have heard any debate in this regard?

And what is the policy on flammable materials being carried through Irish tunnels, such as the Port Tunnel or the Jack Lynch Tunnel? I understood that petrol tankers were not permitted but what about trucks carrying other flammable chemicals?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apparently the truck that went up contained carbolic acid (Phenol). This would be just as unsafe to transport by sea, albeit with less lasting consequences - a boat going up in flames doesn't disable the shipping channel.

I don't think we have any rules about hazardous non-petrochemicals being brought through tunnels as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,314 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And what is the policy on flammable materials being carried through Irish tunnels, such as the Port Tunnel or the Jack Lynch Tunnel? I understood that petrol tankers were not permitted but what about trucks carrying other flammable chemicals?
    There is a very specific list of what can and can't be carried in the Port Tunnel.

http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/hauliers/
    Dublin Port Tunnel is a dedicated route for trucks and buses over 25 seats. It links Dublin Port to the M50 and the National Roads Network. This means a journey time of 6 minutes, approximately, from Dublin Port in the heart of the city to the M50 interchange at Coolock. The Toll Plaza at the southern end has a barrier-free, left-hand truck lane to ensure traffic freeflow for Heavy Goods Vehicles.

Read about Dublin City Council's HGV Management Strategy or Download booklet (770k PDF)

Download the bye-laws governing Dublin Port Tunnel (532k PDF)

Regulations for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods through the Dublin Port Tunnel (1,265k
    PDF)

DPT Hazardous Vehicles Leaflet (911k PDF)

If you are carrying a special load, you should contact the Tunnel Operator.

Advertisement