Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Min Lense requirement for Australia trip

Options
  • 12-09-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

need advice on minimum lense requirements for Australia trip. I have just two lenses for my 5d.........a 50mm 1.8 and 16-35mm........do I need to get my hands on a zoom.........if so what........any suggestions?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, what are you going to be photographing? If you're going to do wildlife and stuff like that I would invest in a good zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You have covered wide and basic focal lengths. You could consider some tele-zoom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

The 70-200 would be a great general purpose zoom for a trip like this.. cant go wrong with one really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are looking to get a lens over there, I have bought gear from Here before. They are really good to deal with.

If you buy it within 30 days of departure you get the GST (10% VAT) back on any purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just back from oz myself and I brought a 10-22 wide angle, a 50mm f1.4 and an 18-200 Sigma tele (all on a 40D so adjust for your 1.0x crop) - but this covered everything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

As said before it really depends on what you're shooting. I was in oz and nz earlier on this year and went with 17-85, 50 mm and 10-20. I used the 17-85 most. I knew where I'd be travelling and didn't expect to be shooting any wildlife so I didn't bring a zoom.

You have to consider how much travelling you'll be doing too. I did a 3 day tour around Uluru and in NZ I did the Tongariro Crossing. In both cases I went with one lens and the camera, spare memory and a spare battery. If you're doing a lot of walking/treking you want the lighest amount of kit in your bag.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah as bovril said, less its better, maybe a nice monopod and bag, in the long run you'd appriciate that more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

I brought everything (14-42 and 45-150 Oly kit lenses) I have out when I was going and picked up an Olympus 70-300 in Kuala Lumpur on the way.

I wanted to try to get some wildlife shots while I was there, I can't say I was totally successful but would have hated not to have had the ability to try.

A lot depends on what you situation will be like out there, I stayed in my sisters house when I was in the city and had a hire car when i was out and about so could lock stuff up easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

hire car + australia = essential.
    Damn place is massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Solyad wrote: »
    hire car + australia = essential.
    Damn place is massive!

Bayswater sorted me out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement