Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking of lease agreement

Options
  • 12-09-2008 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

Myself and my mate have been renting an apartment for about 19 months. We are about half way through our second 1 year lease. About 15 months ago my car windows were smashed along with 5 other cars in the secure underground carpark. I bit my tongue and paid for the damage myself and put it down to bad luck. Yesterday my apartment was broken into and €4000's worth of goods was taken. The thieves managed to get in through the ground floor door without forcing it and then simply pushed in the lock on my front door. I contacted the landlord straight away and he arranged to get a locksmith and fix the door. He has promised to have a mortice lock fitted on monday and he has said he will ask the owner about fitting an alarm. Which is all well and good but i'm begining to think i picked the wrong area to live and i cant help but think that it wont be long before i'm robbed again. Is it possible to break my lease on these grounds and not lose my deposit or be subject to litigation by the Landlord. I feel that the building is just not secure enough the building front door is wonky and doesnt always close properly the garage doors are always breaking and are left wide open for hours at a time.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What area are you in?

Did you have insurance for your own belongings? (costs about €160 PA).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 davidkeogh

I'm in dublin 8. No i didn't have insurance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

astrofool wrote: »
    What area are you in?

Did you have insurance for your own belongings? (costs about €160 PA).

My contents insurance cost about €100. Shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I was under the impression that when the first 1 year lease is up, there is no legal obligation to sign a second lease, and the only way you can be asked to move is if the landlord wants to sell or move into the property,

You probably shouldn't have signed the second lease, maybe the fact you didn't need to sign it will make it easier to break...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

You can break your lease anytime you want - you simply find someone to assign the lease to and notify the landlord. If the landlord does not accept the new lease holder then you can move without re-assigning the lease. Threshold will give you the exact details of the procedure (www.threshold.ie).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 davidkeogh

Thanks for the help and advice everyone

I harrassed the landlord with txt's and phone calls. Now he's fitted a new mortice 5 lever lock to the door and he spoke to the owner and got the owner to pay to have an alarm fitted. So i think i'm going to see out the end of the lease.

Advertisement