Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind energy resources in Ireland

Options
  • 12-09-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I am delighted to see that at last the government has recognised that there is an untapped resource of wind energy all around ireland. Eamonn Ryan seems to be one of the minsters interested in harnesing this resouce. He mentions the fact that we have low oil/gas reserves. If this is so why is the corrib gas line so important to shell. Has anyone any has the corrib protestor given up her hunger strike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

T Corolla wrote: »
    I am delighted to see that at last the government has recognised that there is an untapped resource of wind energy all around ireland. Eamonn Ryan seems to be one of the minsters interested in harnesing this resouce. He mentions the fact that we have low oil/gas reserves. If this is so why is the corrib gas line so important to shell. Has anyone any has the corrib protestor given up her hunger strike.

Let them all starve! That will shut them up...

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I take it you not in favor of their protest. At the begining it seemed to be a valid argument but as things have gone on it seems to get ridicious.
    I only hope that the irish government has not sold a valuable resource to shell cheaply with the way energy prices have gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

T Corolla wrote: »
    I take it you not in favor of their protest. At the begining it seemed to be a valid argument but as things have gone on it seems to get ridicious.
    I only hope that the irish government has not sold a valuable resource to shell cheaply with the way energy prices have gone

Given the gas shortages expected in Britain over the next decade, Corrib gas will probably be exported by Shell to meet pressing commitments in that market. Leaving Ireland to import LNG by tanker from South America or via another pipe from Russia, at a very high price. Both flaky options in terms of security of supply.

Kinsale gas came ashore 30 odd years ago without any "environmental" noise or without any problem to landowners or residents along pipeline routes etc. In many respects Ireland has gone backwards over the past few decades.

Yet another reason to get the finger out in terms of wind, wave and tidal energy, net metering, and grid interconnections with the rest of Europe.

.probe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

T Corolla wrote:

Of course wind energy is an untapped resource

If the government and ESB/Eirgrid/CER mafia can have their way it will remain that a untapped resource as no brown mana in it for them

There isn't as much brown mana envelopes from heaven with wind power to be got as to found from the brown mana from heaven rich sources like Oil and Gas power sources or even he super mana from Nuclear power stations

Of course were low in oil gas reserves they probably got big fields out there but they wont tell us trying to see if they have bought the Irish regime out enough and got their pound of flesh yet

The entire legal government police army Navy whatever will be used to ensure Corrib gas field comes ashore under Shell oil terms as that is how they do things in other third world countries like Nigeria

That's why a lot of Nigerians hate them

Then the gas will be sold to highest bidder as per the contract signed in brown ink and that might not be Ireland so we will have the risk for the pipe line to bang under our roads and yet get sweet F.A. for it

Up the west the farmers and fishermen protesters and up the Shell 2 sea campaigners who unlighted the rest of us as what the brown stuff is doing

Personally I would prefer cap all the oil and gas fields and switch to renewable s and throw shell and all the oil companies into the sea send them packing

Shell have proved that they don't want to compromise they figure they own the regime in power
    Then for a few years big oil outfits run oil and gas extra cheap and drive renewables out of buisness
    Then enslave Ireland back to oil and gas or worse NUKE power when we could have it much cheaper from the wind power but with lots of brown anything is possible

They got bean pushers who can try to prove to us that Ireland the second most windy country in the world is a bad place to put wind power when wind power works in Germany and Denmark who have much less wind than us

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

/gets shovel, digs up old thread. (no choice, only one relevant though).

In light of recent economic climate, was wondering about the natural resources of this little Island, such as Fishing, Forestry and Fossil fuels.
    (3 F's??)

Anyway, someone said that Europe took our fish. Forestry is a bit meh. Not a patch on the Swedes, who are actually jealous of our climate for tree growing ,as it happens.

Whats the story with Shell in Corrib?? Is that Irish gas, sold to England cheap for back-handers?/ Sorta like the M50, "Nahhh, get some company to build it cos' we can't be arsed".

Kev.

• Advertisement
Advertisement