Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on giving grinds?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've just finished a degree in economics and i'm about to start a masters. I did pretty good in my degree so i was thinking of giving 3rd level economics grinds.

I've given grinds before, but that was generally casual, to people i knew, not for money and in subjects i was doing at the time aswell, so i knew exactly what work was given and what was done in class.

How much preperation would be needed? How many subjects should I put myself down to teach? What am i expected to give students, my own questions or just go through any problem sheets given.

Generally my approach in ones i have given was preparing them for the exam in the subject as opposed to teaching them the subject (ie. completely ignoring topics if they aren't being tested) would this be the same way i should approach the grinds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

Sorry gerry 4 butting in but a need alittle advice 2 on giving grinds so no point starting a new thread!
    My problem is my little(big) brother is doing leaving cert and he's doing pass french, he's struggling and as I have lived in france last couple years I offered to help, however as I did honours french I am not really sure of the difference between honours and pass, obviously we can work off the papers 4 the written exam but exactly @ what level should I have him for the oral. He's a bright kid and was just unlucky to have a useless teacher all these years so I reckon I can get him to a decent enough level by April. All advice greatly appeciated:)!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can get the French Leaving Certificate syllabus here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gerry87 wrote: »
    Hey, I've just finished a degree in economics and i'm about to start a masters. I did pretty good in my degree so i was thinking of giving 3rd level economics grinds.

I've given grinds before, but that was generally casual, to people i knew, not for money and in subjects i was doing at the time aswell, so i knew exactly what work was given and what was done in class.

How much preperation would be needed? How many subjects should I put myself down to teach? What am i expected to give students, my own questions or just go through any problem sheets given.

Generally my approach in ones i have given was preparing them for the exam in the subject as opposed to teaching them the subject (ie. completely ignoring topics if they aren't being tested) would this be the same way i should approach the grinds?

Put yourself down to teach the subjects you feel confident enough to teach. If you have just finished the degree you will know what is involved in each area. Don't feel obliged to give grinds in a subject just because you studied it.

Again for preparation - impossible to say, it depends on what you want and what your grinds students want. There is no expectation to give students anything, you can run your grinds whatever way you want. if you advertise your grinds and students contact you, you can ask them what they need and you can tell them what you are willing to do. If you want to give notes and problems yourself that's up to you, I generally find from giving LC grinds that students want me to go over certain topics and help them pick out the important information in each topic, and perhaps explain concepts they are having difficulty with and then go through exam questions and sample answers etc. I can't imagine college students being that different as they too will be preparing for exams.

Advertisement