Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prob with n64

Options
  • 12-09-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

can anyone help?

cant get my n64 to work, i thought the little black box at the back was the prob as when i took it out and used an old ps2 wire that connects the n64 directly to the tv it works (but its very loose and dodgy and wont actually work well enough to play anymore, but just teases me with showing the game and sound for a fraction of a second!!).

i got my bf's n64 and used his box to try get it to work, but it doesnt work either, so i started to think that maybe my actual console was the prob , but then i realised i cant get his console to work either so i am now confused as to what is the problem, as perhaps we are unlucky and both little boxes are broken?!?!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is the power light coming on?

One problem I found with old N64's and games is that it's hard to get the N64 to recognise that a game is in the cartridge slot. Instinct will make you shove the game in as hard as possible but it probably still won't work. However sticking the xartridge in as gently as possible usually gets it to work.

If it's not that we'll need moreinfo to help you. If it's not getting power at all it could be a power cable problem or a problem with the N64 itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

yeah the power light is coming on, and when i use the old ps2 wire i can see it come through on the screen for a second... which made me think it was the connection or something... am thinking of just getting a new n64 as cant think of how to fix it at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So you are getting a picture that fades out after a few seconds? Are the games working?

It seems your N64 is working if the power light is on, could just be the cables most like the AV cable you are using to connect it to the TV.
    Are you trying to use a true RGB scart cable or AV? The N64 doesn't support True RGB scart on the RF cbale that goes in the aerial socket or an AV cable (3 wires red, white and yellow).

It might be that the wire you are using isn't an official nintendo one. I know I had an unofficial scart cable but when used with a snes the screen would appear for 2 seconds before slowly fading to black. Nintendo had a nasty habit of doing these things with their consoles so you would buy official cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Probably the best thing to do is get a RGB Scart for the N64, the good thing is that From Snes-Gamecube they all used the same lead.

And if it is the games i suggest getting a few cotton buds and lighter fluid and just dab a bit on to the cotton buds and clean the contacts it would get rid of any muck or so fourth on the Cartridge, try not to blow it because it can corrode the contacts because of small particles of Saliva. hope that Works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

thanks guys! i tried it with an official wire and its workin now so thank you all so much :)

• Advertisement

Yay! thats good to hear, enjoy one of the best consoles ever. Ahhhhhh Mario 64:rolleyes:

appleidog wrote: »
    Probably the best thing to do is get a RGB Scart for the N64, the good thing is that From Snes-Gamecube they all used the same lead.

Actually that wouldn't work at all, the N64 stupidly never supported scart in Europe despite it being the best and one of the most common display types in the continent.

If you want scart on an N64 you have to get an early N64 and perform a very difficult mod and then mod the Snes/GC scart lead, which is actually very easy.

Glad you got the problem sorted anyway, enjoy the classics!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually that wouldn't work at all, the N64 stupidly never supported scart in Europe despite it being the best and one of the most common display types in the continent.

If you want scart on an N64 you have to get an early N64 and perform a very difficult mod and then mod the Snes/GC scart lead, which is actually very easy.

Glad you got the problem sorted anyway, enjoy the classics!

Ummmm, I always had a Asian N64 and RGB Scart worked fine, but what the hey the main thing is a member didnt have to buy a new N64,

Advertisement