Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The green way to avoid eating oneself to death

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

A healthy diet is good for the planet!

At first sight, this article appears a little over-spiced with vegetarian propaganda - however it has many thought provoking ideas on the selection of the food one eats, for health and environmental reasons.

http://thinksimplenow.com/health/eating-our-way-to-death-literally/

.probe

Comments

I have canine teeth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I have canine teeth

You also have an appendix. Care to tell us what behaviour the existence of this body part compels you to enact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

I feed a dog occasionally, and she gobbles up leftovers of broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes (roasted in olive oil), and steamed asparagus, among other vegetables....

.probe

my appendix doesnt work my canine teeth do. Suggesting vegetarianism or health reasons is fine but as a way of being environmentally friendly is overstepping the line.

Go fight cigarettes for their pollution or go fight alcohol consumption, should we really be drinking a fuel? how much of this fuel do we literally piss away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Leaving aside any environmental aspects, this is interesting.

There was a big research programme in the US re Altzheimers. They found conclusively that Nuns get less Altzheimers and live longer and in better health than any other group.

Their diet is simple and with relatively little meat etc because of the cost.

When the Orders started to live in a more modrn style and changed their diet accordingly, the ratio evened out.

Meat here is a very rare food.

Having read the rest of the article, I am agreeing with the principles on all counts. The cruelty sickens, and the environmental aspects also make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

my appendix doesnt work my canine teeth do. Suggesting vegetarianism or health reasons is fine but as a way of being environmentally friendly is overstepping the line.
    Why? Because the environment is "not that important"?

Húrin wrote: »
    Why? Because the environment is "not that important"?

getting a little bit dictator like if it was law thats why. Next it would be window taxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

getting a little bit dictator like if it was law thats why. Next it would be window taxes.

Why should food be left out of environmental concerns? In fact, the human activity that has the biggest impact on the environment is agriculture. It would be completely thick of us just leave it alone, just because...well, I don't really see any reason.

taconnol wrote: »
    Why should food be left out of environmental concerns? In fact, the human activity that has the biggest impact on the environment is agriculture. It would be completely thick of us just leave it alone, just because...well, I don't really see any reason.

indeed, why should it be left out of environmental concerns, and why should windows be either? And general choice on so many things. Lets ban imports of cds, dvds, all non essential goods to save on carbon emissions. Who needs comedy and other luxury goods really?

If we could ban meat we can do that.

indeed, why should it be left out of environmental concerns, and why should windows be either? And general choice on so many things. Lets ban imports of cds, dvds, all non essential goods to save on carbon emissions. Who needs comedy and other luxury goods really?

If we could ban meat we can do that.

Er..windows aren't left out - in fact they're a major factor in the calculations of a building's BER rating.

I don't think anyone's talking about banning meat, just cutting down. I don't understand why you think this is so extreme..
    Who needs comedy and other luxury goods really?

Definition of luxury: a material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity.

The very definition of a luxury is that it is not needed. So the answer to your question is no one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Where were laws against eating meat mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

taconnol wrote: »
    You also have an appendix. Care to tell us what behaviour the existence of this body part compels you to enact?

From the article: Carnivores have large canines usee for tearing flesh, and they have short intestines, so flesh can be flushed out quicker.

I have large canines! I eat meat simply because I like it.. however I eat little red meat and I do try to source local or organic meat rather than mass produced meat as described in this article... because it is likely to have been treated better when alive, been killed more humanely and generally tastes better..

I consider myself an omnivore, adapted to eat meat and plant-based foods...

I consider myself concerned about the environment and I'm greener than most but I would never give up meat for the environment. Veg like some mentioned (almonds, avocados, soy) consumed in Ireland are most likely out of season and have travelled thousands of air miles...

I can't help wondering how many cattle, chickens etc would actually be allowed to live if we weren't farming them for food.. wouldn't we need the land for vegetable crops..?
    I feed a dog occasionally, and she gobbles up leftovers of broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes (roasted in olive oil), and steamed asparagus, among other vegetables....

If I do ever give up eating meat it would be for health reasons over environmental reasons.. After all, probably the most productive way of saving the environment is to wipe out humans entirely....something we've been trying hard to do ...

.probe

Does your dog really eat tomatoes. I've never seen a dog eat a tomatoe.. even when mixed with lots of other foods it will be found remaining alone in the bowl after a meal. Maybe it's the roasted olive oil

Advertisement